Bubble Algae

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

enteri_00
Amoeba

Bubble Algae

Post by enteri_00 »

Bubble Algae...

What is the best way to remove it from the tank, is it preventable and is there a sure way to prevent it?
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I can give you an observation. :)

I don't think it's really possible to prevent it, sometimes things grow from rocks when the tank situations are right for them. I'm sure like any algae it does respond to nutrient levels in the tank, and will grow accordingly. The "bubbles" actually contain spores, so when you remove them be careful to try not to break them. As they get older they get thin and eventually bust, releasing spores....so getting them early helps. You can also get it off with a toothbrush in a bucket of water, like most algaes. It can definately get to be a pain if left unchecked. Some emerald crabs will eat the small bubble algae, but I haven't had too much luck with them.

Here's my attitude: you will occasionally have outbreaks of different algaes. Kept under control as much as possible, they eventually go away...when tank conditions that favor their growth change. Don't let it worry you too much, just try and montior your water quality and nutrient levels (skimming, water changes, etc.) .

Sue
oddball
Amoeba

Post by oddball »

I have had success using emerald crabs (they loved it)