Powder Brown Tang and Ich

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

megelBeagle
Amoeba

Powder Brown Tang and Ich

Post by megelBeagle »

Ok. So I just brought home a powder brown and on closer inspection, I see some ich.
The fish is eating well and very active. Looks fine otherwise. I have limited tang experience so I'm not sure if I should panic or not.
Can a fish got over ich on its own?
Should I just wait and see?
I don't have a QT tank so that's not really an option.
Will garlic help...or any other additive I can safely add to the tank?
There are, maybe five or six visible "grains of salt" on it.
I have also heard that if I raise the temp over 82 that it well help, but that is purely anecdotal.
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Normally if a fish (tang) is healthy and happy they will get over it on it's own. If the fish stays stressed then it will probably get worse. Is he eating ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I wouldn't be too concerned at the moment. Right now (don't panic), just carefully observe the fish and make sure it eats plenty of food (especially algae, etc) and watch the spots. If it begins to worsen and the fish displays aberrant behavior, then you may need to take action. If it comes to that (which, given the way things are right now, it shouldn't), then I recommend hyposalinity treatment as the safest (yet effective) way to treat ich.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

snoopdog wrote:Normally if a fish (tang) is healthy and happy they will get over it on it's own. If the fish stays stressed then it will probably get worse. Is he eating ?
Yes. He has a very healthy appetite. He was eating within 30 minutes of being introduced. Doesn't show any signs of stress.
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

He should be fine if he's eating and swimming good. I have a blue, yellow, purple, and sailfin tang and each of them got a little bit of ich in the beginning. If it appears to get worse you can try raising them temp, lowering the salinity, and adding a dash or two of garlic powder/salt from the pantry. But I would leave it alone for now and it may heal on it's own. Make sure to give him plenty of algae. I give mine a sheet of red, green, brown, and purple algae every day....all on the same algae clip.

I know there is a company about to come out with blue green algae sheets. Blue green algae is known to have the most antioxidants of any other algae. I am planning on becoming a distributor for them later this year. They also have algae products for humans and animals.
-Kristyn
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

GermanShepherdGirl wrote:I give mine a sheet of red, green, brown, and purple algae every day
Where do you get this algae? How is it sold?
I need to get some today
Do you use Nori?
Veggies?
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
GermanShepherdGirl
Copepod

Post by GermanShepherdGirl »

I buy mine from Drs Foster & Smith
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/N ... +6100&va=1

Check out the Marine Seaweed Selects and Julian Sprung's Sea Veggies. I buy it in the sheets. I will cut the sheets into about 2 or 3 inch squares and put them back in the bag/box they came in. Then each day I just take one out of each color and put them all on the same seaweed clip that suctions to the side of the tank. My suction cups are getting warped and I need to get some more. I heard you can get magnetic seaweed clips similar to the mag floats.
-Kristyn