can anybody help me find something...

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

redpheonix
Copepod

can anybody help me find something...

Post by redpheonix »

I am looking for a sea hair to go in my 110 to take care of a little hair algae... then when he has done his job i will pass him alone or trade him off to someone else who needs him..

Also i am looking for an octypus to go in a 29 gal until i set up my large tank.. preferrably a smaller one.. and anything besides a blue ring.. they have great color but im not really into getting bit by something that has no antidote...

Or if someone knows where to get there hands on a cuddle fish... thats what i would really love to have...
armouredcat
Amoeba

Post by armouredcat »

Im just curious as to why you would want an octopus in your tank?
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Too small for a cuttlefish. They are going to need a much larger tank than that.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

i dont want a octopus in my reef.. i want it in a different tank all together..

Andrew.... what size tank are we talking about for a cuddle fish... minimum size for a small one and what requirements do they need... flow,food,lighting, filtration?
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
medikall
Amoeba

Post by medikall »

Arent cuddlefish colder water animals?
Sean
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

redpheonix wrote:i dont want a octopus in my reef.. i want it in a different tank all together..

Andrew.... what size tank are we talking about for a cuddle fish... minimum size for a small one and what requirements do they need... flow,food,lighting, filtration?
Zack
I am thinking a minimum of 75 gallons per cuttlefish (since they are cannibalistic). They excrete a good deal of waste, so you will need effective filtration (preferably live sand, refugium, minimal rock, though, for swimming room, good protein skimmer, good circulation--not a ton, but good, water changes). The refugium, skimmer, and circulation should give them their heavy oxygen demand. Foods will most likely be live at first, but once they accept frozen foods, any combination of fish, crustacean, and mollusk meat will work well. Lighting is unimportant for some species, but subdued lighting is probably best for most. You are already aware of their short lifespans, also. Hope that helps.
medikall wrote:Arent cuddlefish colder water animals?
Not all of them. There are at least a handful of tropical ones commonly available.
Andrew

redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

Thanks Andrew... you would recommend more length than depth for them then.... i have a 125 that i was going to set up but have had a person ask me about it and could get a tank built to suit and make it longer and wider than deep....
but yes i know that they are highly canabalistic and couldnt be kept with anything.... the octo's are the same...

i just want something interesting that not everybody has.... get tied of seeing the same thing in everybodys tanks...
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

redpheonix wrote:Thanks Andrew... you would recommend more length than depth for them then.... i have a 125 that i was going to set up but have had a person ask me about it and could get a tank built to suit and make it longer and wider than deep....
but yes i know that they are highly canabalistic and couldnt be kept with anything.... the octo's are the same...

i just want something interesting that not everybody has.... get tied of seeing the same thing in everybodys tanks...
Sounds good to me. The more surface area you have, the better off you will be. Most tend to spend their time along the bottom, anyway.
Andrew

SadaAesix
Amoeba

Sea Hare

Post by SadaAesix »

I have seen sea hares for sale on ebay on more then one occasion. You might want to check there for your acquisition.
Sada
Water travels the path of least resistance, be more then water.
cnovak
Amoeba

Post by cnovak »

i just picked up a sea hare from rich this past week i believe he said he had 5 or 6 in the last shipment, he's doing a great job on my hair algea. i could give em to you when i'm through with him or you could go and see if he has any left.
Taddster
Amoeba

Octopus in 29g

Post by Taddster »

I would not keep an octopus in anything under 55g (and that may be too small).

I have kept several throughout the years. They are short lived...and will be even more short lived in a smaller tank.
Peter Tad A.S. DePaola
B.S, B.F.A, B.A, M.S, Ph.D.
Specialized in Marine Cephalopods