Moving sinularia

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

SadaAesix
Amoeba

Moving sinularia

Post by SadaAesix »

I came home tonight to watch a strange occurance. I watched a peice of green sinularia become mobile. I saw that it had moved underneath another coral and when I tried to place it back in it's place it moved away from me and down a cranny in the rock??? I was not able to see what had gotten a hold of this coral but I could not loosen the grips of whatever had it.
I can see the coral via the back of the tank and it looks as if it's being eaten. Can someone tell me what may have the sinularia?
Thanks
Water travels the path of least resistance, be more then water.
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

i has a piece of green leather attach to a shell that was in the tank.. eventually as my scarlet crab grew he moved into that shell and began dragging it all over the tank... i eventually had to remove the leather from the shell.. so it would be attached to a hermit crab shell... thats the only guess i have right off bat... havent heard of anything eating them other than nudi s eating on the slime coat or at the base of the coral.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
SadaAesix
Amoeba

Post by SadaAesix »

wow never thought of a hermit.. thanks thats a might be.
SadaAesix
Amoeba

Revealed

Post by SadaAesix »

The culprit is revealed now. The moving sinularia was in the claws of a small teddy bear crab. This little crab is a hitchiker in my tank so I'm offering him to whomever would like him or her, whatever.
He's cute but evidently likes sinularia.

Sada
SadaAesix
Amoeba

uhh oops

Post by SadaAesix »

Revealed yes but correctly identified no. Sorry.... this is a gorilla crab I think because I saw dark tips on it's claws. I will try and get a pic of it to let someone else with more knowledge then I make the identification.

Sorry for the booboo