Dwarf Angel Fish Information

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

enteri_00
Amoeba

Dwarf Angel Fish Information

Post by enteri_00 »

So I pose this question to our very talented and very wise group here on MBRK...I was thinking about getting a dwarf angel fish...not sure which species...maybe the flame, maybe the eibli , maybe the bicolor, or maybe even the pygmy...i have read alround about this fish and I get confliciting information about this bunch...some say the fish is great and awesome addition...other say not a good fish...what do you all say...The reason I ask is because I want one more fish and one that looks different...i.e (doesn't look similar to my clowns or dottyback)...would this be a wise move?
carlab
Amoeba

Post by carlab »

I really wanted to get a flameangel but read that they are prone to nip at clam mantels. I have 2 clams and it's not worth the risk. Also read it is hit or miss with being reef safe. Have you looked at swallowtail angels. They are one of very few truly reef safe but they are large angels and not as colorful.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

We had a beautiful bi-colored angel when we first started in the hobby we ended up breaking down our 75 completely to get him out due to the fact he nipped at everything.
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

In my previous tank I had a coral beauty that didnt bother anything in the tank.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I took the chance a couple of years ago and got a Brazilian Flameback Pygmy, and like Kevin and Amy had a great time removing him from the tank for nipping one too many corals.
steveanddanni
Amoeba

Post by steveanddanni »

We have a flame angel and we have not had any problems with him nipping at our corals. We have had him almost a year now. A benefit is that he like to graze on hair algea. :)
enteri_00
Amoeba

Post by enteri_00 »

sounds like these angels are truly a hit or miss...I wish there was a clear cut way to say yeah go ahead and get one ....or don't bother but thus far your answers have helped alot...it certainly has taken my gun hoe attitude about getting one...too a crawl...my hope was that I could get a fish that would look different from both the clowns and dottyback...if any of you have suggestions...let me know as well