Clown Fish Troubles

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

enteri_00
Amoeba

Clown Fish Troubles

Post by enteri_00 »

Hey everyone it seems I have been posting quite often as of late. here is the latest issue I am having...

I own two false percs...a black and white and an orange and white...they have been doing very good since I have had them (april) and just last night and today my orange one has been acting very very strange...he has hid behind my power head kinda hiding himself there or he will hide at the bottom underneath one of the rocks just staying in place or somewhere along the bottom...he even has kinda hovered in the corner of the tank too...now the black one will chase him out of the those areas and has been chasing him around all day and when he gets him cornered kinda does a little shaky shake towards the orange one...but the orange one has just gone back to the shelter points...

I put some food in there to see if the orange one would eat it and it did but didnt' really chase after the food like it normally does. does anyone know anything about this or heard about this behavior...or should I be preparing myself for a burial at sea???

thanks for any input
carlab
Amoeba

Post by carlab »

Sounds like they may be trying to establish who is the dominate female and who is the male. As you probably know with clownfish one will become the male and usually the larger one will stay female. My false perc pair are currently going through this. They are fighting a lot and during this time of stress they aren't eating well. I have an anemone they host and frequently the female will keep the male chased away from it. Other times they act like the happy couple. Hopefully this is what yours are doing and it will sort itself out soon! :)
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

This also happens in many domestic households.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
enteri_00
Amoeba

Post by enteri_00 »

LOL so that is all I have to worry about is the dispute of two clown fish sorting out who the dominate fish is? Not the fact that the one fish tries to hide from the other and the other one seeks him out to chase him all over the tank!!! Sounds good I will keep an eye on them and let you know any progress.
carlab
Amoeba

Post by carlab »

snoopdog wrote:This also happens in many domestic households.
LOL And the female will win!! :lol:
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Always, unless the guy wears a wife-beater shirt.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
enteri_00
Amoeba

Post by enteri_00 »

Well guys it wasn't the chasing and it wasn't the wife beating either...my poor clown has passed on...so sad so sad...thanks for all your help...I am pretty bummed now...my first loss as a reefer...
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

It never gets any easier, but I think it makes you appreciate the ones you have a little more. I'm sorry you lost the little guy, it's tough.
enteri_00
Amoeba

Post by enteri_00 »

Yeah I agree I am sure it never gets easier...but we move on and look forward to new challenges...he was a fun fish while I had him now its time to find another fun fish to put in his place...
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Sorry to hear about your lose James. It is always sad to see a fish or coral die in someones tank. Just remember there are planty other fish in the sea. J/K
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
enteri_00
Amoeba

Post by enteri_00 »

LOL...and the biggest fish of them all is you ANDY!!! LOL J/K ...hey man good luck on your test this weekend I hope you pass it. My boss will be proctoring it. Other than that brittany and I will be in touch about a new fishy...so speaking of more fishies in the sea I hope you got some...take care....