Do we have a 'real' group here?

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

Wow a reunion! Like many I have been pretty much stagnent with my tank because of the hurricane. Even though we put forth the effort to keep 99% of the tank alive for 3 weeks of no power nothings been the same. Life/family/school/work/laziness has gotten the best of me. All but my hardiest corals are gone and I have every tpe of algae problem imaginible but my clowns spawn on a regular bases!

I can relate to most of the comments above. Most meetings 50% of the attendies were ppl I had never met. That being said, its amazing no more foul play occured than it did.

With John and Terry both gone I'm pretty issolated over here now but would be willing to make the drive if something was organized.

Good hearing from you guys.

Joe
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Hey old timers....I can't believe this whole post...things must have changed shince I got flooded out and moved to Indiana. ...I personaly loved the meetings\parties we had...I learned a lot and picked up or gave a lot of nice frags and information. I also met some of the best people I have ever known....I do think the storm is what really took the club down a notch..I know it did for me...had it not been for the storm I would be hosting a eating...drinking...trading...party right now...When we started up (I was at the first meeting also) it was too formal for me....but we had to choose a name and such...then things got to be like a family....that is why we grew...people enjoyed themselfs and learned from some folks that had been around awhile...nobody had their stuff damaged and everyone had a good time...As we grew it looks like we collected so folks that did not respect others...the bottom line I think is if I do not like a store I shop elsewhere I do not try to change it......I do wnat to thank all those folks that put their time into keeping this on line and making it what it was.....They are why I kept my reef till the storm took it out and why I intend to build another one when I get thru working here in Russia and will be able to put the time into the hobbie it takes. Good luck to all my old friends and best wishes to the newcomers..
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I will have to be honest and say that I didn't read much of the thread.

I did read something about a formal club but with something like that with officers and dues come more problems than it it worth. We talked about it at one of the first meetings and there was someone there that had been involved in a formal club and we were advised to avoid it at all costs.

The way that the club is progressing, or not progressing, is all part of it. As with anything there are periods that are good and bad and sometimes all it takes during the bad times are one or two things to turn things around. Someone needs to have a meeting with a frag swap, BBQ, door prizes, hell, lets just see if we can all meet for dinner at a restaurant or something. Maybe a road trip to another aquarium club meeting or store to get some new ideas or different corals that can be fragged into our area (can anyone say Cappucino Bay.)

This board (and some of the other national boards) is one of the best things I have seen in this hobby. There are a few members that are ultimately responsible for the success up until now. If it had not been for Snoop we would have never made it to the 3th meeting much less years later and several times I have tried to get others and myself to make donations to help with the costs incurred and time spent on this board. He refused and I think that it is because he believes that it's a good thing and it's a part of the hobby that he enjoys. Sometimes it gets to be too much though.

There have been some terrible problems over the past few years, Katrina is the first thing that comes to mind. Some members have moved, sold out, burned out or whatever. A lot of these people will be missed. Terry, John (Xster), Shawn and Waterhead (although it looks like the last two might have a little desire to join back in) just to mention a few were very generous with frags and more imortantly information. A lot of the members who were at the first few meetings are out for one reason or another or moved. These and the others were the foundation that this organization was built on and without them at one time there was little contributing members to lean on when something wasn't right. That is what we need now and with the new members that I see now and with some really wanting to do something here and make it work all it will take is some work to incorperate those that are somewhat new into the structure that was formed years ago. When the others and I were looking into forming this club I personally talked to a few people who said that it had been tried before and would never work, therefore they didn't want to be involved. I have to say that even if the board went down today we have done better than anyone thought and much much better than those who have tried before us.

When I had more time I used to go to all the big sites and search for people in our area. When I found one I pointed them this way and we actually got good results from that. If I remember right that is where one of our best former members came from and with him (it was TNMoore and I found him on (saltwaterfish.com). With him came Xster and probably many others. I did this for years but with some of the oblications that I have taken on I haven't had the time or even thought about it . That is what it takes. If this was a business that couldn't afford advertising what would be the best way to get customers? Word of mouth. If you see someone with a tank in the back of their truck ask them about it (I have done that too) If you see someone with a skimmate stain one their shirt, talk to them. That is all it takes, show them what we have here and what we possibly have to offer even if the benefits are small right now.

I am moving. I have lived in the hood for almost 13 years now because it was convenient for me to be within a mile of my grandmother and dad who lived in Birdville (at least that is what they used to call it). After I move I will finally be setting up my 80 gallon tank that I bought almost a year ago. After that I will finally be in the position to host a meeting again. I hope that this will help restart the thing that we had in the first year of the life of the club.

Mostly, I would like to see some of the members that stopped posting that I know still have tank to come back. It doesn't take that much effort to turn on a computer, log on and read for 10 minutes. Occassional meetings, monthly meetings, weekly meetings, doesn't matter if no one can come. We need to make it fun again. I know that I miss it.

BTW, Terry, I hope that it's not as cold in Indiana now as it was in Wisconsin a couple of weeks ago. I have never in my life seen snow in October (I saw it in May there too) and when I got up close to St. Paul it was almost like a blizzard on Oct 10th. It sucked.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
coastieslk
Amoeba

Post by coastieslk »

I'm kind of new to the whole saltwater tank thing. I started a little over a year ago a couple of months after katrina. I've been to every lfs from crystal reefs in gulfport to fat fish in daphne. in all the times I've been no one told me about this site or club. until I was on saltwaterfish.com I wished that I had known of this site along time ago. I started a reef tank had ick that killed almost all my fish then I decided to try a pufffer tank and he eat all of my corals then he died of the ick too. so now I'm trying to get back in to the reef. my tank is very empty due to money issues but I would love to be involved in a club. and definetly would like have some frag swaps.
any one looking to trade frags
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Great to chat with old friends....as for cold I am now in Sakalin Russia working....ususally gets about -40c....and windy....snow has already started for the year -2c for the high so far this trip....anyway back to the topic....We must not forget Liz.....It was her that hosted the first meeting where it all started....Got my first Southdown from Liz....she moved on because of Job relocation....Again I think the reason this board grew was the friendship that quickly developed among the first few members and that they did not judge others and had open arms--lots of knowledge---ect. I usually did not drink at meetings unless I hosted because I drove..but it was there....some brought frags....some did not....some gave away ...some sold.....some brought friends ...some came alone...we just had fun...fun...fun...we had some fights...like when it was being used as a comercial for some and they left....we not have a spot where stores are welcome and needed but separate from the club part...I always felt there were two parts and they kinda intertwined...some of us went diving together....we even had separate road trips to other cities to look for new things but we met here and became friends by having fun..fun..fun..that is why a local group is better....it is more personal ..you can see eye to eye if you please...and if you do not you just chat or watch...I have even gotten dates from friends (Karen the matchmaker) on here...all because it was a first name group that had fun...that was because we went to others houses ...respected them and had fun...When I get back to the states and get a chance to come south I hope I get to see a few of my old friends....when I stop traveling and get to set up my new reef I will try to post some pictures of my small investment...I hope to keep it under $50 if I can...any sugestions.... Terry
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

One more thing did any of the purple monster as shown in my avaitar ever make it or did the storm take the last remaining piece....
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Thought I would show a couple of old pictures...Terry...see anyone we know...
Attachments
IMG_3853.jpg
IMG_3853.jpg (65.96 KiB) Viewed 7821 times
IMG_3727.jpg
IMG_3727.jpg (71.27 KiB) Viewed 7821 times
IMG_3712.jpg
IMG_3712.jpg (46.66 KiB) Viewed 7821 times
IMG_3713.jpg
IMG_3713.jpg (62.11 KiB) Viewed 7821 times
IMG_3881.jpg
IMG_3881.jpg (64.08 KiB) Viewed 7821 times
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Terry those pictures are enough to make me cry....

Miss the group and miss everyone's tanks....
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I hate to say it Terry, But I actually had a few frags of the corals out of your tank to save for you if you decided to start a tank again. Karen and Billy had trusted me to keep a few of them. They were doing really well until this summer. I lost most of them during the "whatever the hell happened to my tank" hit. The purple monster made it almost thru, I lost it last. I do, however, still have a couple of them and they're looking good in the new tank. :)

It seems like those were the hardest to lose, as I was keeping them for your new tank. I apologize, I really hoped to save them.

Sue
satchmofish
Amoeba

Post by satchmofish »

is there going to be a meeting anytime soon? I would love to finally be able to come to one. There's nothing like that up here.

Thanks,
Russ
uncommon valor was a common virtue
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Sue
Do not worry about it...I will be working overseas at least two more years unless I retire first then at least another year getting a tank set up...doing the pipeing ect.....not sure how big I am going....will have to be in my basement....afraid the floors will not handle it...or my ceiling below incase of a slight spill that we all know will happen...I was just wondering if any of the purple monster made it....there were several small frags around...I think I even gave Rich a piece at Progressive...I know I gave him some stuff...hope to run down one of these trips home and catch a few folks if I can....take care...terry
Attachments
AlotofSnow.jpg
AlotofSnow.jpg (40.48 KiB) Viewed 7792 times
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Wow Terry that is some picture. I still have a couple of frags of the things that I got from you, but the purple monster did not make it. When you get your tank up and going again I will help you out. I hope someone still has a frag of the purple monster because it was an awesome piece.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
Aaron
Amoeba

Post by Aaron »

I see this has been on here awhile, but maybe this can help. I don't know, I moved here in 2001 and started a saltwater tank 2 years ago. I think this group can not only provide trading and industry information, but it can take a different course. What about coordinating trips (Atlanta aquarium, scuba diving, aquaculture farms, fall leaf changing trips, wine tasting, charter some fishing boats or sponsoring raffles or golfing outings? I don't do half these things, but I am sure other people would be interested. See what people like to do, and offer those things sponsored by MBRK. I think officers and some fundraising wouldn't hurt. It's an avenue to change the course and provide something other than just text. Still keep the basics, but who says it has to be strictly trade related on each outing. Newsletters would be a good start to inform people of what's going on. Thanks
Woods Hole
Xster
Astrea snail

Re: Do we have a 'real' group here?

Post by Xster »

I need to bump this to the top....... :)
Xster
Astrea snail

Re: Do we have a 'real' group here?

Post by Xster »

Amyjoe, if I remember correctly....I killed one of your plants????? I am truly sorry....wait.... was that Shaun's (SaltnLime) house? I don'tt remember....oh well....