Red Algea

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

armouredcat
Amoeba

Post by armouredcat »

Chemiclean Red Slime Remover.

Wait 24 hours.

20% water change and try to lightly vacuum the very top layer of sand in areas where you saw the Slime.

I had to repeat this process 3 times, but It did work for me. May not be the best method, but it worked.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I'm not going to use anything like that on my tank again. I used Ultralife Red Slime remover and lost $500 plus of livestock. I'll let it run its course and attempt to find the source, whatever that might be.
HAMsmith
Amoeba

Post by HAMsmith »

I recently had this same thing in both my home (24g) and office (10g) tanks. Both tanks are less than 1 year old.

At home I fought the slime by removing visible patches with a turkey baster and doing frequent water changes.

At the office I basically did nothing. I didn't even do water changes as I only have 2 hermit crabs and 1 snail.

Both tanks had the slime start at about the same time and both cleared up at the same time.

I think it just takes time.
vphathom
Amoeba

Post by vphathom »

I had a problem also, I found that my protine skimmer was not working as well as it should have been. I took it apart and clened the impeller relly well and the air scavage port and two days later it was gone
Dxtr
Amoeba

Post by Dxtr »

Food - are you still having cyano problems? I had an outbreak (minor from what it sounds like you've had) and for the last 2 weeks i've been squirting and siphoning. almost have it licked cept for a few small patches I'll be getting tomorrow.
Peace! - Dxtr
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I'm still having all kinds of problems and haven't been able to figure out the source of them.
Dxtr
Amoeba

Post by Dxtr »

mine was undoubtedly due to poor water. when i thought i was moving i kind of slacked off and that was when the red slime started. over the past 2+ week i hace done 20% water changes, blasted and siphoned almost all of it away.

I've read that the water is the main culprit and lights alos, however, i am far from the expert...

good luck on getting rid of it...
Peace! - Dxtr
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Dxtr wrote:mine was undoubtedly due to poor water. when i thought i was moving i kind of slacked off and that was when the red slime started. over the past 2+ week i hace done 20% water changes, blasted and siphoned almost all of it away.

I've read that the water is the main culprit and lights alos, however, i am far from the expert...

good luck on getting rid of it...
The lighting only promotes cyanobacterial growth when the water is already sub par. Think of it as enhancing an already present problem. A phosphate source is the main culprit, usually settled detritus or phosphate leaching from a deposit, whereas nitrate is secondary in the problem. You can have nitrate and not have cyanobacteria, but phosphate will promote it rather quickly.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium