Photography

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Buzz
Amoeba

Photography

Post by Buzz »

Just picked up a Nikon D70 SLR a couple of days ago. This is a whole different world from point and shoot cameras. Anyone have any pointers as far as what lenses to buy for aquarium photography or best settings to use. There are so many different things you can set. Any help is appreciated.

Later,
Buzz
Endeavor to Persavere
(Hang in There)
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I have zero experience with SLR cameras, so I can't help you there (wish I could afford one). Someone on here probably has, though. Also, check out the photography forum on ReefCentral.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

When I used to use my old Minolta SRT101 (circa 1972), I used the standard lens and tripod mounted it. I also had a set of close up tubes I used when I wanted a real colse up. You could probably accomplish the same thing with a small zoom lens.

I'm not sure, but I'm assuming that digital SLR incorporates the same principles as my old 35MM camera did. I doubt that you'd need more than 100-125 MM zoom. I used to shoot as slow as 1/30 second with a tripod and use the tank lights without flash. Don't know if that will be of much help. I've been using a Kodak point and shoot. Someone who would know is IslandCrow on the Florida Panhandle Forum on RC. He's a nice guy and could probably answer any of your questions.
Doc :D
Michelle
Amoeba

Post by Michelle »

I have the same camera Buzz ;) Pop over any time if you want to look over the lenses we have. You really have to hold the nikon still to get good shots though, they're wonderful cameras, but they can put out a lot of blurry pictures if the camera or the object you're photographing is moving a lot. The tripod is your friend :P
Thanks!
Michelle @ Fat Fish
28851 N. Main St., Ste. D
Daphne, AL 36526
251-626-0926
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Ditto on what Michelle said. A tripod is required with a Nikon :lol:
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate