Frilly Mushroom removal

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

megelBeagle
Amoeba

Frilly Mushroom removal

Post by megelBeagle »

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove a frilly mushroom without mangling it? I have a population control issue and want to give some to some friends.
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

There are several ways to do it, but all simply involve creating non-ideal conditions for the mushroom. Two common ways are using a powerhead aimed directly at the mushroom until it decides to drop off. The other is using a bag with some ice cubes to do the same. A combination of both would probably help also. Of course, there's my way, which doesn't necessarily mangle it, but is a bit more invasive: I just snip them off as close to the base as possible. The only issue there is that it is often difficult to do that effectively with some frilly mushroom species. BTW, they all seem to recover exceptionally fast with this method.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I found that a hammer and chisle works well also!
steveanddanni
Amoeba

Post by steveanddanni »

The problem with cutting them off at the base is that if there is any part of it left it will regenerate into numerous new mushrooms.Ask me how i know. :wink:
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

Actually I think the problem is putting them in a tank in the first place. :shock: Its almost as bad as putting green star polyps in a tank. :o If you chisle a big enough chunk out of the rock you don't need to worry about leaving little ones behind, but the ones you don't remove will eventully fill in the empty spot.
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

If you snip them off at the base with a sharp pair of sissors they will definately do well in your friends tanks. They will also return (regrow) in yours. If they become too numerous there is always selling or trading the mushroom rock.
Doc :D
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Propane torch.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
megelBeagle
Amoeba

Post by megelBeagle »

I regret putting that first mushroom in the my tank in the first place. I was new to the hobby at the time. I think I may take the rock out with the mushrooms on it. The other mushrooms are fine...the "non-frilly" ones. They don't like the light to much, so that limits them to the shadows.
I think I need to give my friends fair warning before I start handing out frags.
So...say that I want to get these guys out of the tank. I remove one rock and thats 95% of them. But there are 2 little chunks of mushroom that have made it to other rocks. Is there I way I can...um....err..."dispose" of these "baby" shrooms before they grow up?
Can I inject Kalk or something like that? I have been unsuccessful with the powerhead or ice cube method of removal.
I am rehesitant to employ the "blow torch" or "chisel" methods :) suggested since there are other critters on the rock that I like.
-miguel
75 gallon reef
30L refuge
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

The chisle method is not that bad. If you just take the rock out of the tank and set the chisle near the base of the shroom and tap away until the rock break. I have had instances where the entire rock broke in half because I used a little to much force but some rocks are harder than other. The Fiji and other rock from over there in the pacific is usually fairly brittle so i wouldn't pound too hard. If you have that florida aquaculture stuff you might need a jackhammer.