The never-ending T5 bulb discussion

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

sb1227
Astrea snail

The never-ending T5 bulb discussion

Post by sb1227 »

Well, I'm still not really happy with my bulb mix on the 40. I've been using this order...back to front: ATI blueplus, Geismann aquablue plus, UVL aquasun, Geismann actinic plus. Icecap retro fixtures and reflectors.
I'm down to mostly LPS in this tank, and the colors seem good, corals are doing well but the Leptastreas and Echinophora all seem to be getting too much light. All are on the sand, if I put them higher they begin to show signs of bleaching. I have one Micromussa doing great high up, would like to put one of the new ones up with it, but want to hold the purple/green color of that one. Alot of corals, mainly SPS, I put high just lose color and look washed out.
I'd like to bring out the color in those, and hold the color in the rest. I'm considering switching the Aquasun for either a KZ coral lamp or ATI pro color....or maybe just another ATI blue plus.
Anyone have suggestions? Opinions?
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

I was reading up on this stuff myself. It was a few weeks ago and I have since forgotten what all I read but I found the KZ bulbs interesting.

It seems to me that the T5 on Icecap ballasts are too much for lps, and softies. I don't have much direct experience with this other than the 2 T5 bulbs I have on my tank have caused things to bleach and die on me. I move stuff to the bottom of the tank and it all does better, and this is with only 2 80w bulbs. I can't see how people keep things under those 8 bulb setups with Icecap ballasts.

I'd maybe drop the Geismann bulbs if you wanted to go mostly sps. The best looking T5 sps tanks I've seen were running combos of the ATI blue plus and Specials with maybe a KZ bulb or two in them. I still think that would be overkill on and lps/softy tank.

If i keep my tank up and go towards sps I'm going to go with blue plus and specials and maybe a KZ red with my 2 VHO actinics.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

They aren't overdriven, just run on the small ballast most use. They're actually Sunlight Supply retro kits, I looked at them....duh. :roll: It's still an awful lot of light for the tank, though.

I ordered another ATI blue plus and the KZ pro coral to replace the UVL midday bulb, I'll try the KZ bulb first and if I like it, I may have to do the blueplus in place of the actinic plus....Good grief.

This is why I'm not a fan of T5's. Great idea, but a pain in the a** to find the mix you like....at least for me. :lol: I do love the overdriven blueplus on the 120 though.....definately sticking with them.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

If I don't end up having to move I will probably add more T5 to the tank and give sps a try again. I'd probably go with an Icecap ballast to overdrive them since the tank is so deep. I think the 660 will let me add 3 or 4 more 54w bulbs to the tank to go along with the 2 80w T5s I have and the 2 4ft VHO's I have. I'd probably go with 2 Actinic VHO and get a mix ATI blue+, ATI Specials and 1 KZ bulb. Its just a waiting game for me now.

do you think the Icecaps would be overkill?
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

i've run nothing but t5's for the past 2 years.

Growth has always been decent, and i could tell by the corals when i needed to change lights, because I wouldn't notice any recent growth from them.

I will say that once I started overdriving my t5's with the icecap, i started to get insane growth from everything in the tank....

zoa's went nuts, sinulara, some sort of encrusting sponge, and the favia that was dieing started coming back.

over driving is really the way to go.....
there is a guy on RC that has done tons of metering and research on them and can recommend a setup (whcih i recommend) you can get awesome color outta them since there is such a range of temps available.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

but with my 2 overdriven bulbs things got worse in my tank. My green sinularia died, zoas, shrooms and branching hammers all started to die until i moved them to the bottom of the light. This was just off of 2 80W bulbs on an icecap 440.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

i would assume you acclimated them yes?

thats too bad :(
was this also when you were running your MH's?

i think you were using them when the MH's were off yes?
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

this was after I sold everything off. I kept one frag of the sinularia and it did well under the MH with the T5s on just a little for the actinic. All the stuff I'm having problems with has been added to the tank after the fact and is only under the 2 T5s and 2 VHO's
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

You guys need to hurry up and figure the right combination out. I have equipment for 9 five footers on the 225 but no bulbs yet.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I don't think there is a right answer Phil. I'd say go with a mixture of ATI aquablue Specials and ATI Blue Plus with some kind of daylight bulb. I might give the KZ bulbs a shot if i add more to my tank.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

Front
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquablue
ATI Pro Color
ATI Blue Plus
UVL Aquasun
UVL Aquablue
ATI Pro Color
UVL 75/25
ATI Blue Plus

maybe?

there is a guy on RC "the grim reefer" who has tested all sorts of t5's and is constantly testing and trying new bulbs, that is just a 8 bulb configuration wtih an extra ATI Pro Color added in towards the back...
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I like what I saw with some of the European tanks. If I do add more I'll probably go similar to what they had. The only problem is most of them were zeovit users also and I'm not going to go down that road. All I know is many of the pictures I saw looked great and they were going heavy on the ATI blue plus and Specials with some KZ sometimes.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Every combination of them I've tried the blueplus were the way to go. Definately want a bunch of them. :) I had given the idea of 3 blueplus and one aquablue alot of thought. I am curious to see the coral light, if it doesn't do it, I'll do the blueplus in it's place.

What have you got in that tank, Phil?
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I didn't think Phil had anything in the tank. He keeps taking it up to Dave to hold for him :D

Sue, is that Coral Light the KZ bulb?
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Yeah, got them today but won't have time to try them till Thursday or so....

Doesn't Phil have three or four tanks full of stuff at Dave's? I hear rumors..... :lol: