The never-ending T5 bulb discussion

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Main Tank
6" Blueline angel
6" Male scribbled angel
5" Emperor angel
(2) 3" Golden butterflys
(3) 3" Pyramid butterflys
3" Threadfin butterfly
4" Foxface
(2) 2" Blue hippo tangs
2" Chevron tang
4" Male Flame wrasse
4" Male Rhomboid wrasse
3" Pin tail wrasse
4" Mystery wrasse
5" Lineatus wrasse

Got my eye on three more fish.

Can you figure out what might not go in this tank?
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Definately. Any fish that costs less than 50 dollars...... :lol: Can you even do some nice riccordia with them?

But why so many T5's for those fish? Unless you do mostly blueplus, which would be nice color for them, I would think 4 would be plenty.
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Smarta$$, although that was a funny answer.

I don't know what in the heck I am doing, but I am having a whole lot of fun.

We will see what happens with the corals. These fish will have been in here so long without coral that they may not bother stuff.

Or, maybe I just need another big tank.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Fun is what it's about. I need to remind myself of that, sometimes.

Seems I heard a rumour about you getting one of those do all end all little tanks......so did you?
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

A cool little biocube that was supposed to house a beautiful purple rhinopia. Unfortunately someone killed it.

I am sure I will sell it now.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Well that just sucks. Actually, I just heard about that.

I don't know, but since I've been getting these sweet Austrailian Acans and Micromussas I keep envisioning them in a tank like that. I don't know if you like those corals, but they do have some nice color. It's an idea...

I'm trying to figure out how to downsize, I'd like to get to 2 sw tanks and 1 fw. Water changes are killing me. :D
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

These are what Id like to put in the smaller tank and trying to get the right bulbs for. Right now it's too full of frags.
Attachments
Acans.jpg
Acans.jpg (62.12 KiB) Viewed 4941 times
Redfish
Copepod

Post by Redfish »

Don't tease me. Don't you want to split that 73 head tonga micro on divers den with me?
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I like the Flores red and blue with 62 heads better. :lol:

That Tonga one is awful nice though. Massive.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Ok, let's see if this will work, Keep in mind the pic colors may be off a bit, I don't think so though. I put the new lights in today and stood there like an idiot thinking "wow". I was amazed, the greens just glow, and the Orange/blue Riccordia does too. I have to let them burn in a bit and see how the corals do...but it looks like a winner to me. Very crisp, white/blue light. Now it's back to front: ATI blueplus, Geismann Aquablue plus, ATI blueplus, KZ Coral light. Fantastic. First pic was taken yesterday, the second today with new bulbs. Looks dark, but believe me it's not. Just no more pinky color. :)
Attachments
40bulbchange.jpg
40bulbchange.jpg (74.63 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
frags2.jpg
frags2.jpg (68.34 KiB) Viewed 4915 times
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

That second picture does look really dark. How many bulbs did you change? I know you put the KZ in but did you change any other ones? That second picture looks too blue/dark for what I like. I guess maybe I'd have to see it in person.

So you added another ATI blueplus and the KZ. Is that KZ bulb more of a white bulb. I might like the setups if the KZ was in front of the second ATI blueplus. I'm just not a big fan of blue tanks.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

It's a very white bulb. The two blueplus add alot of blue to the tank, it's bluer but just as bright and the flourescence of the corals is wild. I kept the back 2 bulbs the same. I didn't like the pink color of the daylight bulb. It makes me think of the color of a 20K radium. It would be too blue for you probably, you might do better with only one blueplus. The pic is also alot of blue for the camera. I didn't fool with the white balance and probably should have, the tank is much brighter than the pic shows.
I have the feeling that at least that algae I've been plagued with will go away.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I was thinking of going something like this

ATI Blue plus
ATI Aquablue
VHO Actinic
KZ
ATI Aquablue
ATI blue plus
VHO Actinic or 50/50
ATI Blue plus

I think if I add a 660 I can get 4 more bulbs in with what I have. That is depending on what happens with my job.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

That may be bluer than you like. It's a good mix though.

I guess I'm going to change out the Geismann blues in the main tank to the ATI in a few months. I can't do it right now, because they're fairly new bulbs.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

You know what you are right. I had the blue plus and the aquablue's mixed up. I'd have more aquablues than blue plus.