Any suggestions?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

mccarty30
Amoeba

Any suggestions?

Post by mccarty30 »

My tanks 100 gal and 55 gal have been doing so good. Then last week i got a nitrate spike and have no idea what is going on. I did water changes and it doesn't seem to be moving down much. Any suggestions :?:

:cry: :(
otto486
Amoeba

Post by otto486 »

We'd need to know the source before we could be much help.

Source water, maybe?
Just an idea
mccarty30
Amoeba

Post by mccarty30 »

I am using water from a water filter and i tested that water and levels are fine. If thats what you mean. or is it something else?
otto486
Amoeba

Post by otto486 »

Thats what I mean. Keep searchin, you'll find your problem.
mykpoz
Amoeba

Post by mykpoz »

Just in case you didnt know....

when you do water changes to reduce levels... you will kill yourself unless you do really large ones....

when i say large i mean 80% PWC's ;P

As an example, if you had 100units in a 20g tank, and you changed 10g, you'd be left with 50units. Repeat with another 10g water change, you are now down to @25units.. if your target is below 5, then you would have to do 3 more water changes to get it to that level....

now swap that with 16, then you get it down to 20 parts your first go, and the next one takes it where you need...

* all are estimates, and subject to change based on what your problems are...
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

One question... is the live rock in your tank rock you had in a previous tank or is it new rock... if its new where did you get it...
I have heard of several people having problems with rock that they bought from other people leeching phosphates into their tank. Also if its man made live rock made with quickctete.

not sure if this helps with any ideas.
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
mccarty30
Amoeba

Rock

Post by mccarty30 »

The rock in the tank is mostly from the previous owner. I bought the whole set up last March. Some of the rock in the tank is from Progressive. None of its made from quickcrete. At least not that i know of. Dont look like it. I did a 60 gal water change and added phosphate sponge and i'm leveled back to 0. So hopefully i got it under control.

Thanks to everyone for the advice and help!
Angie
kristo
Copepod

hey

Post by kristo »

It is a possibility that the filtration you have could cause you to have a nitrate spike. You dont have hang on the back filters do you? Or do you have large amounts of biological filtration? these could cause a problem with nitrates. A constant moving of sand or substrate could cause that also.

Hope it helped,
Kris