reef newbie

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

lowrider
Amoeba

reef newbie

Post by lowrider »

just wanted to say hello and new to reefs just starting to feel that i can take care of it lol :wink:
Last edited by lowrider on Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
flricordia
Amoeba

Post by flricordia »

What kind of set-up are you doing? Got any pics, info?
lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

29 gal,tank
3 damsel
3 snails
1 sand star
1 hitchhiker star ???
2 hermits
1 frag of dasiy polyp
kinda getting a slow start not to sure about corals but i think i will add some zoas next and hope for the best :roll:
wtrhed
Copepod

Post by wtrhed »

This is a great site for info and local contacts. There's alot of people on here that will help you with most problems and curveballs you will encounter. If you are just starting out , I would recommend you also visit Reef Central. Definetley spend the money on some good books!!!!! When I started out I found this book to be the most helpful and informative. It wil pay for itself ten fold if you are just starting out. Good luck!!

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~ ... BKNMA.html
lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

Well most things we (me and my wife) have learned has been trial and error. We have had our tank going for just over 18 months now and it has mainly been FOWLR exept the 1 time we had the anemone and it lasted about 6 or 7 months. we kept a good check on the water quality the whole time but not 1 person bothered to tell us we had poor lighting. So, i am sorry if we ask silly questions but i would rather ask than kill anything else. That was a horrible experience. Other than the anemone we have had pretty good luck but we have not branched out far. Just got our first frag from b & b about a week ago. Wish us luck :)

Thank you in advance for any and all help. Glad to know you all are out there to share your knowledge.
Phishwater
Amoeba

Post by Phishwater »

Don't feel bad for asking "silly"questions. Everyone has to start somewhere, no one knows it all from the start. IMO the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. Welcome to the site!
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

If you think about getting any other frags you should try Progressive out he has alot of different frags and you would get a lot better price and even better variety....most of my stuff has come from Rich's...
Zack
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
lowrider
Amoeba

Post by lowrider »

When i finally found progressive Tuesday they hadnt opened yet :( But i plan on trying there again soon now that i know what the hours are.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yeah, drop us a visit. I'll be in both Friday and Saturday, if you want to chat while I'm there.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
lowrider
Amoeba

lowrider

Post by lowrider »

Amphiprion wrote:Yeah, drop us a visit. I'll be in both Friday and S
aturday, if you want to chat while I'm there.

i will try i need to learn all i can befor i go bigger :lol: im thinking of
at least a 75 maybe 100 but not for sure have to get wife on board lol
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

If you go wwith a 75 and need a stand let me know i am getting the stand and canopy sanded and painted this week and it should be ready soon... will try to post some pics...
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred
lowrider
Amoeba

Re: ...

Post by lowrider »

[quote="redpheonix"]If you go wwith a 75 and need a stand let me know i am getting the stand and canopy sanded and painted this week and it should be ready soon... will try to post some pics...[/quote

let me know when done and i can look at it bud
redpheonix
Copepod

Post by redpheonix »

Will do ... he picked it up tonight and i should have it back in a few days or so...
110 gal reef
29 gal. pred