Looking to buy....

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

AngelLeah1981
Amoeba

Looking to buy....

Post by AngelLeah1981 »

mag 12 pump
nw200 octpus skimmer or ps200
tunze powerheads and/or wavebox
t5ho 8 lamp fixture 48 inch 54 watt
bulbs
good moonlights
refractometer
arogonite sand preferably fiji (if it is ok to sit for 6 months - thats when the tank will be set up.)
undergravel filter for 120 gallon
bulkheads / plumbing for 120 gallon tank to 40 gallon sump
rock
maybe a calcium reactor
OR
simple setup for seahorses at least 20 inches deep (between 40-75 gallon)

I think that's all. I may be forgetting something....hope not. All I have is the 120 gallon tank.
Thanks.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Nevermind. I spaced out and thought you were selling, even with the words "looking to BUY" glaring me in the face. If I can get my hands on one of the new Gen-X stream style pumps, I will be getting rid of a few modded nanostreams (1400 gph). Will be a while, though.

One question, though. Why an undergravel filter? Do you plan on using the plate for something?
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
AngelLeah1981
Amoeba

Post by AngelLeah1981 »

It' ok :) ....sounds like something I would do. lol.

I wasn't going to go with an ug filter but someone said if i got one and didn't punch holes in it or hook tubes or hook up a pump or anything and use plastic screen like the stuff that goes on a screen door and put it on top of the ug filter and then do a deep sand bed on top of it there would be a space between the bottom of the tank and the bottom of the sand and this would create a space for beneficial bacteria to grow. Is this a bad idea?
Thanks. :)
Leah
chrisalmand
Amoeba

Post by chrisalmand »

I have a ton of live rock $3/lb. give me a call 3242749 -Chris
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

AngelLeah1981 wrote:It' ok :) ....sounds like something I would do. lol.

I wasn't going to go with an ug filter but someone said if i got one and didn't punch holes in it or hook tubes or hook up a pump or anything and use plastic screen like the stuff that goes on a screen door and put it on top of the ug filter and then do a deep sand bed on top of it there would be a space between the bottom of the tank and the bottom of the sand and this would create a space for beneficial bacteria to grow. Is this a bad idea?
Thanks. :)
Leah
I know what was suggested to you-- it's actually called a plenum and is part of an older methodology. It is kinda hit or miss and it is easy for things to go wrong with it--not to mention it really doesn't work any better than a regular deep sand bed. My suggestion, if you want a deep sand bed, just get a lot of sand and don't worry about anything else. If you don't want a deep sand bed, that is fine as well (you may even want to go "bare bottom"). In any case, make sure you have plenty of circulation around the sandbed for the best results.
Andrew

AngelLeah1981
Amoeba

Post by AngelLeah1981 »

Ok. Thanks alot for telling me that. I'll scratch that idea.
AngelLeah1981
Amoeba

Post by AngelLeah1981 »

Oh, I need a RO/DI too.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Most people that have bought RO/DI units from Ebay have been pleased with them. Also try www.airwaterice.com
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I'll second AirWaterIce. I have had great success with their unit. I even added a redundant DI canister, making it a 6 stage unit. I say redundant because TDS is zero even out of the membrane, not to mention the other two DI resins.
Andrew

AngelLeah1981
Amoeba

Post by AngelLeah1981 »

Thanks so much. I will check these out. What do I look for specifically? ....just a 5 stage? I also want to be able to use it for drinking water. I knew someone that did that and I always saw that as a plus to having the system. ...especially when we spend almost $100 a month just on Walmart bottled water !!!! Thanks.
Leah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Just as many as you want really. Something with cord filter, carbon filter, membrane, DI is fine. Think of getting a "Kit" though with faucet and pressurized tank so that you will have water on tap.

Something like this link, but not maybe this one. What you specifically want to look for are all clear housings, except the membrane housing. A pressurized tank, a faucet and all fittings.

http://item.express.ebay.com/Reef-Water ... xpressItem
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Or you can email the airwaterice guys and tell them what you want, they'll set you right up. They have fantastic customer service, fast shipping and good prices. I'm a big fan.
DIfishhead
Amoeba

Post by DIfishhead »

If you haven't already done extensive homework on keeping seahorses, please start now, before you get any. I would suggest getting only captive-reared seahorses (e.g. ocean riders, seahorse source), as wild collecting is often harmful, destructive, and done illegally. Keep in mind these fish, due to their inefficient digestive system, need multiple feedings per day, and demand excellent water quality (in other words...demanding of your time). All that said, they are magnificent fish to keep.

Cheers!