well it's official, I kill xenia!

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

well it's official, I kill xenia!

Post by harbingerofthefish »

The daisy polyps are doing great, as are the zoos of course, but the xenia...well it's a day from gone, and I mean gone.

Anyone want a chunk encrusting Gorgonian? It's pinkish purple in color. When I got the piece I didn't realize it was so big (no jokes). And somehow it got torn. I sliced it with a razor and now have good sized pieces but not enough room for it. So if anyone wants it, I'll get it to you. Of course if you have some polyps of any kind or anything else, I'm not oppossed to a swap.
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I put Xenia from my tank to my sons tank and it started to shrivel, not enough light as i thought.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

Doh!... I had some pulsing xenia in my tank that went from one small stalk to 4 nice size stalks...I clipped one off to trade frags and it seems the rest will die soon. :cry:

The frag is doin great though :roll:
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I have a bunch of the pink (red sea I think) type , I'll be glad to slice it up and you guys can have it. Got lots of extra mushrooms too, if anyone needs any of those.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Hey Shawn, with who are you trading xenia? Are you holding out on us?

Alan,
I hate that your blue xenia croaked. That would have been some cool stuff. Where did you get it?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

I would love your gorgonian if you haven't already found a home for it. How much do you want for it? Maybe I have something I can traid for it....

Let me know!

Thanks,

Elizabeth
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

i'll take a piece of gorgonian also...get back to me
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

snoop-

yeah, the age old xenia debate. I've seen pics of gallon tanks with 2x13watt PC over them and they can't keep the xenia pruned fast enough. After reading around yet again, I tend to agree with the "dirty tnak" theory. A lot of people have luck with Xenia in tank that have some Trates in them. I try to over feed some, but to no avail. *sigh*

scott-

Yeah it looked greta for a week or so, started standing up, pulsing some, then fizz...

I got it over at aqua works. They had there usual "shipment" of elengota, but on the sand bed of there first tank, the one you walk into when you go through the door, there was 1 little stalk blowing like crazy. Being the scavanger I am I spotted it hidding behind some polyps.

Liz & puff-

Well, i got home last night, on piece has started to "rot" some. The hunk is about 4" long and has a nickel sized area, wher it has started to die. The polyps are open around the area, so it doesn't seem to be affecting the whols piece yet.

So I dropped both pieces down to the sand bed where they are in real high flow area. Hopefully it will shed and be alright.

If both of you want some, it's yours. If it does well, and then if you want to scrape something out for me, that's fine. More concerned about the health of the pieces I have.

More than likely I will be heading over to Mobile Saturday Afternoon, So mike, as always, I can drop a piece by, and Liz, if we could meet half way somewhere that'd be real cool. I'll be heading to the B&B area around Noon.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Xenia is definitely a high nitrate lover. But also they are a high light lover, the more the better.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

Sounds good to me....I can meet you at B & B if you want....you name the time.

What do you want back....I have some shrooms!

Elizabeth :roll:
harbingerofthefish
Copepod

Liz-

drop me an email and give me your #. I'll give you a call before I leave fairhope tommorrow. That way we can meet at about the same time. It usually takes me 30-45 minutes to get over there. Meeting at B&B is cool unless somewhere closer is more convienent. I'm probally going to play cards and the store I go to is a block or so down from B&B but I can always go a different route to make it easier on you. Like maybe that gas station on water(?) on the corner near the docks entrance, If thats better for you.

If anyone else reads this and has her number feel free to send it to me, just in case she or I don't read this before tommorrow.

p.s. I'm going to have to scrap one of the pieces. I've watched the rot grow to over half the piece in 2 days. And since it's in the middle...well saving it may be futile.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

What about your xenia? If you have anything left of it I'll take it.
harbingerofthefish
Copepod

Scott-

thanks for the # I'll give her a ring in the AM

as for the xenia...when I kill something I kill it, you can have the rock it was on in case it wants to grow back form the ashes.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

That's ok. I would keep it though. I have peeled and scrubbed xenia off rocks and it grew back, you never know it might grow back.
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

Thanks for the gorgonian....I give you an update on it's progress.....

Thanks again!

Elizabeth