Mated Pair of False Percs.

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

tswtrskier56
Amoeba

Mated Pair of False Percs.

Post by tswtrskier56 »

I have a mated pair of false perc for sale. With a proper lunar cycle, the female will lay eggs. We dont have a fry hatchery setup, so we would like to sell them to someone who would like to try their luck at breeding. We have had them for over a year, paid $95 for them then. Make an offer...

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Wow, $95 O_o ?!
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
tswtrskier56
Amoeba

Post by tswtrskier56 »

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I didn't doubt you at all. I am just kinda shocked at that price. I guess you are paying for ORA broodstock, though, so I could see the price increase for that.
Andrew

Scootman
Amoeba

Post by Scootman »

I guess I see this differently. If someone wishes to enter into the business of captive breeding, then a $95 broodstock investment is a bargain.

A good pair will consistantly lay eggs twice per month. Let's say you have an average of 500 eggs each time, that's 1000 possible baby clowns per month. Let's estimate that you only end up with 25% which reach maturity and are "A" grade quality. If you sell those to area fish stores and distributors @ $6.00 each (average), then you're generating $1,500 per month. I know there are expenses, setbacks and other risks, but that $95 initial broodstock investment seems like a great deal to me. Especially, if you keep them producing for a several years.

Now if you're just an ordinary hobbyist, the $95 price isn't practical.

Just my $0.02,
Scoots
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

Assuming that you can sell them all. Not counting your cost to raise them to salable size.
Doc :D
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Scootman wrote:I guess I see this differently. If someone wishes to enter into the business of captive breeding, then a $95 broodstock investment is a bargain.

A good pair will consistantly lay eggs twice per month. Let's say you have an average of 500 eggs each time, that's 1000 possible baby clowns per month. Let's estimate that you only end up with 25% which reach maturity and are "A" grade quality. If you sell those to area fish stores and distributors @ $6.00 each (average), then you're generating $1,500 per month. I know there are expenses, setbacks and other risks, but that $95 initial broodstock investment seems like a great deal to me. Especially, if you keep them producing for a several years.

Now if you're just an ordinary hobbyist, the $95 price isn't practical.

Just my $0.02,
Scoots
25% is generous. 10% or so is more realistic in most situations. That justifies the broodstock price even further.
Andrew

DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

That is a pretty pair of Prec's. Try that 5 times fast.
Doc :D
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

I tried it, Doc. Did'nt get past 4. :P
tswtrskier56
Amoeba

Post by tswtrskier56 »

Well, at any rate...if anyone is interested in a good pair of false percs, let me know...we have raised them since they were babies, we just dont have the time to try to breed them, get the fry tank setup, etc... Im open to any and all offers.
tswtrskier56
Amoeba

Post by tswtrskier56 »

I thought i was going to have to remove this post...we lost a perc...but 2 days later we found it...in the sump!! That silly little guy wound up swimming into the overflow, down the drain pipe and into my skimmer section... Its a good thing that it didnt come out of the main tank, it drops to the bubble trap, he would have been a gonner...
When we got the male back into the tank with the female, she scolded him for about 20 minutes....which is typical, guy messes up, girl gets mad...
kristo
Copepod

Post by kristo »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
~Kris~

"You can not start a revolution with a silk glove."~Joseph Stalin
tswtrskier56
Amoeba

Post by tswtrskier56 »

Ok, the percs have to go. They are laying eggs and the female is getting too territorial.

$50 for the pair or $75 for the pair and a GBTA. It hasn't hosted the clowns yet, but the tank is big and I don't think they even know it's there.
Piweq2158
Amoeba

Post by Piweq2158 »

Do you live in Mobile or Pensacola?
Underwater Outlet
Amoeba

Post by Underwater Outlet »

Scootman wrote:I know there are expenses, setbacks and other risks, but that $95 initial broodstock investment seems like a great deal to me. Especially, if you keep them producing for a several years.
The expenses are more than one can imagine! One pair of broodstock wouldn't be worth the time much less the money.