10 Gallon Nano

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

Here's with tubing...

Saw some awesome frags today in Pascagoula, some Red Zoas, and some Star Polyp colors that are interesting... :)
Attachments
With tubing.jpg
With tubing.jpg (18.41 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
crazywesc
Amoeba

Post by crazywesc »

Try to get that pump up higher in the tank it should increase airflow. Hopefully that will work and you can get some of those pretty corals you seen today :D
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I agree. That will help reduce some of the water pressure on it and allow it to draw a higher air/water ratio.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

Okay, I'll try tomorrow morning and post results! :)
AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

Sorry, was really busy last few days!

Skimmer working perfectly in new position! Thank you!

Lights should arrive tomorow!
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Well, ideally, you want it in that position for a number of reasons. One for the problem you were experiencing and to optimize the air/water ratio. Two because most of the substances the skimmer removes are either hydrophobic or amphipathic--in other words, they are going to float on the surface of the water like oil. Having the pump close to the air-water interface will allow for more efficient skimming.
Andrew

AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

Ok, when my lights arrive, do I need to start with a small photo-period(3 hours) and build up (add 30 mins a week?) to stop algal growth?

When should I order live-rock?

:D
AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

Today I saved three tanks from the landfill! A guy that lives next to a friend told my friend he had them and was about to toss them, so my friend called me up and I went and saved them! three fish too...I think they're a siamese algae eater, a cherry barb, and a pearl danio(?)...The tanks are: 40 gallon, 40 gallon tall(?), and a 29 gallon...I doubt I'll be able to keep them all...anyways, they're all in need of new equipment and everything... :?
Last edited by AquariKeeper on Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Slowly ramping up the lights won't halt or stop algal growth. Keeping it low will--but even better is to keep nutrients to a minimum to discourage them. Leaving the lights on a short period is more of a band-aid than anything. Do some water changes and even add a little ferric oxide hydroxide based phosphate remover to keep things to a minimum before you add higher intensity lighting.
Andrew

AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

Okay, just got back from the Georgia Aquarium! SO WORTH THE TRIP!

Ordering live-rock soon...I think from Drs. F&S...Anybody have experience with their rock?

Skimmer is working great...Oh, and I have a feeling if anything tried to walk behind my tank it would never be seen again...so many cords!

Just chugging along I guess...takes a long time for shipping! :roll:

:D
Attachments
Anyways, lights arrived while I was gone, set them up, and...*insert drum-roll*...
Anyways, lights arrived while I was gone, set them up, and...*insert drum-roll*...
Lighting on!.jpg (22.74 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
DrHank
Amoeba

Post by DrHank »

You've got a very nice project going. The nice thing about a Nano is that you can buy the best rock without going broke. You're probably going to want about 10-15 lbs. As far as advice goes, I'd listen to what Andrew has to say. He knows what he's talking about and won't steer you wrong.

One of our FPRS members Chrisalmand lives over in Cantonment (Pensacola area) and has over 400 lbs of live rock for sale. Check him out in the Vendors section at www.panhandlereefers.com. You may want to give him a call and make a trip over and hand pick your rock. You'll get some good rock and save a bunch of money.

Another option might be Tampa Bay Aquacultured live rock.

http://www.tampabaysaltwater.com/

It's great rock with tons of life the only down side that I know is that you may get some nasties like gorilla crabs and mantis shrimp. It is primo stuff though. Not that there's anything wrong with Drs Foster & Smith but personally if I were going to mail order live rock it would be from Tampa Bay.

Good luck with your tank.
Doc :D
Kart Racer
Copepod

Post by Kart Racer »

It's great rock with tons of life the only down side that I know is that you may get some nasties like gorilla crabs and mantis shrimp.

Personally think mantis shrimp are about the coolest thing out there. They may be no good in a reef tank but still as cool as they get.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Gorilla crabs and mantis shrimp are bad, but the cirolanid isopods would worry me more. I definitely don't want to have to go through that.
Andrew

AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

Okay...LONG time no post...

Well, I have ten pounds of live rock in, probably about a month now.
Three blue legs so far, they really do live up to their reputation! They're little marine weed hackers! :twisted:
Also two astrae snails went in tonight, and seem okay.

I got a nice chunk of purple xenia from B&B :D Hasn't opened yet, maybe in the morning...

I think there needs to be an anti-aiptasia police squad! I hate those things! :evil: Boiling water seems to work okay, but they're spreading! :shock:

Anyways, I'm having tons of fun with this! And if any of you guys have some coral that needs to be trimmed around, maybe we could work out a deal! :D
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Peppermint Shrimp really do work to get rid of them.....FYI
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate