Aquarium running too hot?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Crustman
Amoeba

Aquarium running too hot?

Post by Crustman »

Here is my problem. I have my first reef aquarium here but it is staying about 88 degrees and I cannot cool it. It has 8 T-5 bulbs and it has the lifeguard mechanical filter. The pump for the filter stays hot. The air conditioner for the house is set at 77. Window blinds are closed. Any ideas. Is this coral bleaching? Thanks Tom
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Aquarium
Attachments
fishpost.jpg
fishpost.jpg (61.41 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
filterpost.jpg
filterpost.jpg (130.82 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
lightpost.jpg
lightpost.jpg (84.33 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
coralbleach.jpg
coralbleach.jpg (126.48 KiB) Viewed 2314 times
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Aquarium is 65 gallons, live rock and coral sand bed
Attachments
damselpost.jpg
damselpost.jpg (137.77 KiB) Viewed 2313 times
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

temp in trickle filter sump. T5 lighting has single cooling fan that is always on when the lights are on. These are on 8-9 hours/ day
Attachments
temp.jpg
temp.jpg (43.47 KiB) Viewed 2312 times
reefman8471
Amoeba

Too Much Heat

Post by reefman8471 »

Do you have a heater? If so check it to make sure that it is set appropriately and not stuck in the on position. That happened to me once and I have Metal Halides and VHO's. You might also have to add one or two more fans. Also, how big is the fan that you have? If you end up with three fans have at least two blowing over the bulbs into the canopy. The third fan can be blowing out of the canopy sucking out the hot air. You also might want to have a fan blowing continuously over the equipment in the sump. The pumps also generate heat.

James
There are no problems; only solutions.
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Thanks James, I think I will have to replace the pump. It is running very hot. I will have to shut off the whole pump assembly and replace the pump. I hope I will be able to find one that uses the same connections. There is no heater in the unit. I have a heater lifeguard module but it is removed. I think the heat is transferring direct from the pump into the water. Even with the lights out for the night, the temp is 86.7. How long can I shut down the system with no mechanical filtration to replace the pump?
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Great, I just learned that I have a Grundfos Quiet One aquarium pump. This aquarium pump is no longer manufactured and a reply on another reef forum states that the pump uses aquarium water to cool itself. Andrew, if you read this I will be calling to find a replacement for this. New connectors may need to be plumbed. :(
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Here is the pump assembly
Attachments
pumppost.jpg
pumppost.jpg (38.78 KiB) Viewed 2297 times
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Hmm, ok. So you already have a sump assembly, I see. Any and all primary filter functions can be completed in that stage, so the lifeguard system is somewhat superfluous for your application. I was under the impression that it was your sole source of filtration and water movement. So, are you using another separate pump to return water from the sump area? I am thinking that if that is the case, you may do best by eliminating the Lifeguard system altogether. That pump, especially if it is an extra one, is largely contributing to the heat problem.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Andrew, I also talked to Rich and will see him this afternoon. It is the only pump driving my system. The water goes in the sump and then goes through the lifegard modules and then through a Tetra uv sterilizer before going back into the tank. I want to keep everything and just replace this pump. If all goes well, I will remove and replace it today.

Tom
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

That's fine. I bet we could still find a more efficient pump that will emit less heat, which would really help out.
Andrew

Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Tank is cooling down. Progressive Marine set me up with this. I had to find some new fittings to connect it but it is working fine. Temp is now 85 and hopefully it will keep dropping.
Attachments
new pump.jpg
new pump.jpg (56.44 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
new pump close.jpg
new pump close.jpg (38.15 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Glad to hear it. Let me know what it does as time passes.
Andrew

Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Temp says 81 on my Medusa temperature controller. Do these need to be calibrated or should I trust it? The high temp alarm is set for 83. I am ready now for some corals starting with frogspawn.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

They should be pre-calibrated. If you want to check it, try a few other analog thermometers and average the result. Either way, they shouldn't be too far off.
Andrew