mini coil denitrator

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

B&Bemployee1802
Amoeba

mini coil denitrator

Post by B&Bemployee1802 »

Ive been reading about DIY coil nitrators but all the ones i have seen have been between 2 and 4 ft tall. If made smaller would it still work?
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Coil denitrators work, but there are much better options available to you that will work just as well and be much less of a hassle. The easiest (though not always the most practical) is to get a refugium and begin growing macroalgae. Good macroalgal growth is a great long term solution to the accumulation of nitrate. The other option is to use one of the more popularized organic carbon sources, such as the precise direct dosing of vinegar, sugar, and/or even ethanol (most people use vodka as the source of ethanol). The only thing is that the latter method tends to be a bit less forgiving. You should have a very large, oversized protein skimmer for it to work properly. Basically the premise is that the additional carbon grows various bacteria, which sequester both phosphate and nitrate in various ways, only to be removed by the protein skimmer. Think of it as bacteria harvesting--and it is very effective. As I said, though, it can cause problems if overdosed, mainly low oxygen levels, bacterial mats (slime), lightening of corals, etc. I suppose the "safer" of the two is the refugium, although organic carbon methods are very safe if done properly. Just something to think about.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

I think tuning a little coil denitrator would be a major pain. I'm still thinking about making one, I just can't justify another home-made and marginally effective piece of equipment.

If you have a sump, I'd be happy to donate a couple of mangroves to get you going. Just buy a shop light and a 6500K fluorescent spot from Lowes and you'll be in business. Much cheaper than buying another pump and building a coil denitrator and you don't need to tune mangroves.

If you are keeping up with your maintainance and running your reef in a sane manner, nitrates will never be a problem IMO. :D
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.