General question

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

General question

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

So I have a question that no one really wants to talk about because it just plain sucks. Hurricanes and power. I have been lucky to not have the power go out and stay out but my question is, I have a 45 gallon reef tank and I am wanting to know what is it that destroys tanks during power failure? Water getting too hot, cold, no lights? I didn't think it would be the filtration because the live rocks are a part of filtration and hopefully they do their part. I want to get a generator but it its that the water gets too hot then I would have to get a chiller also. I have tried thinking about every possible way and option and need some insight. I just want to be prepared and I didn't last year and everytime I was sweating bullets. I need insight. I don't want to be the one to bring up bad memories of lost aquariums but I want to be prepared. thanks.
salt_for_brains
Amoeba

Post by salt_for_brains »

IMO, No water circulation would cause major problems in a few hours. Lights you can get by with for a day or two. Heat of water would cause issues especially if there were no water circulation. I have had to fire up my generator in the past to get by some hours with no power.
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

Aeration would be a problem a few hours before heat would. I need to build a genny or at least get a 12v to 120v converter so I can keep a powerhead going.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Yep. Unfortunately, every tank is different in terms of the amount of time it takes for oxygen to become depleted and/or other problems to manifest. Very heavily stocked tanks, obviously, would be the first to go. Some tanks can last for close to a day or even longer without circulation, whereas others can barely last an hour.

As was already mentioned, you should really look into a good generator or at least a converter.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

power failure

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

I have 3 battery powered air pumps ready to go. I am right now in the stages of "planning" on building a battery powered powerhead. I'm suprised that no company has tried it yet.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Actually, the Vortech pumps feature a battery backup (for an extra charge, of course :roll: ) .

FWIW, my tank ran for over a week on battery-operated air pumps after Ivan.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
BigPumper
Amoeba

Post by BigPumper »

Why worry with battery power? If you have the money to invest in an expensive reef system, you should have already bought a generator.
jdmorgan20fan
Amoeba

General question

Post by jdmorgan20fan »

Well, If you live in a apartment and they won't allow generators then you have to find other options. They probably don't allow aquariums either but what they don't know want hurt them.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Generator here. I picked up one super cheap at Pep Boys before our week long power outtage. Pep Boys was the only one during every hurricane that had generators in stock. I guess no one thinks to go there to pick up one.

I paid around $300 for this one and it is compact, takes up very little room in the garage and I can nearly pick it up and carry it around by myself.

During the hurricane it powered two fish tanks, a chest freezer, two upright refrigerators and a small 5,000 btu air conditioner.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

We bought a generator the year Katrina hit and lost power for about a week. Thank fully we have not had to use it since. Our tank is in the Dinning room so we closed of the room using sheets where we did not have doors. With the generator we bought we put a window unit in that room and keep that room cool so the heat was not an issue and was able to run the vhos on the tank and all the pumps. I did not see spending the money on a chiller just for the tank when a window unit would keep the tank cool and yourself. At that time the acros we had took a hit, but most everything else survived.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Post by Phisher »

I was able to keep most of my livestock alive during over 6 weeks of no power after Katrina. I would run the pumps periodically via the generator and also use a gallon pitcher to aerate during down time. Most of my nicer corals died, I assume lack of light and temp swings. My leathers and hardier pieces recovered, we lost 1 fish during the ordeal.