Members Tanks and Bios

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

otto486
Amoeba

Post by otto486 »

Great lookin setup flricordea!

I suppose I'm next then. Alright, here we go. My name's Evan Otto, I'm 17, and I currently live in Watertown, South Dakota (eh). I started my first saltwater when I was 10, and have gotten more and more into it since then (the earlier ones were BEYOND pathetic) Now you are probably wondering why I'm posting on an Alabama reefkeeper forum. I currently have plans of moving to Pensacola Fl, to attend the University of West Florida for Marine Biology... If everything goes to plan... So I figured it wouldn't hurt to get on some local forums and see how many other reefkeepers were around the area.

I currently run a section of a LFS that builds and instals tanks for local businesses. Thanks to my occupation I've become pretty handy with Acrylic and glass, which has helped me on my most recent build.

Right now I've just got a [fairly pathetic] 26 gallon up and running. Its all I had the money for 3 years ago, and it has served me well. However, with college coming and me wanting to "spread my wings," I began designing a complete setup for a 50 gallon AGA (not to be confused with the 55 gallon). I needed a tank that was easy to move, completely self contained, and allowed plenty of room for error/upgrades (gotta love Murphy's Law). Since cost wasn't an issue (supplies at cost, and a local bank as a client!) I wanted everything to be designed with a purpose and future changes in mind. Whats really nice is that since the sump and fuge are seperate units, I can remove both of them without having to move the tank or alter the stand. It is also going to be runnin the RK2 controller by Digital Aquatics. The display is 36"x19"x19", the fuge is an AGA 10 gallon, and the sump is 24x10x12 custom acrylic.
Here is the link to my build album

http://www.siouxfallsareaaquariumsociety.com/node/793

Here is the tank I did for the bank:
http://www.siouxfallsareaaquariumsociety.com/node/794
And my little 26 bowfront:
http://www.siouxfallsareaaquariumsociety.com/node/794

Anyway, I can't wait to get down to Pensacola, mostly because it is ABSOLUTELY FREEZING HERE! Record low for us this year was -40, ha (cold enough that our plumbing froze tight and we had to heat it up with a torch). Hope you guys are enjoying the weather! I am a junior this year, and as soon as I graduate I'll be on my way down.

P.S.
suziq21, do you work for UWF?
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

I'm Hank, I've got a 100gal single overflow, plus two sumps, about 130 gal total capacity. This system as been running for about eight months now. It is a high flow tank, that will house mostly SPS when I start stocking more. It's still a young tank and I haven't mastered dosing such a large tank yet, as my stability improves, I will get more interesting livestock.

Equip.
Mag 5 (primary return)
Reef Octopus Extreme 200 skimmer
Auto top-off Kalk doser (I also dose two fully buffers as needed for balance)
4x 54w T5HO Geissman tubes
2x Koralia 4's
GFO reactor
Mangroves and Razor Caulepra
6 stage RODI system, 75GPD membrane
170 lbs live rock from various sources

Livestock.
Big female Ocellaris
Small male black Ocellaris
3x 3 stripe damsels
Lawnmower
One-spot Foxface
Sixline Wrasse
Kole Tang
Condi
LTA

Coral.
Platygyra
Palythoas
Montipora Cap (Purple)
Pagoda
Mushrooms (not for long, they hate my tank)
Finger leather
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Crustman
Amoeba

My algae garden (I mean reef)

Post by Crustman »

Hello, my name is Tom and I am a new reefer since November of last year. Some of you will recognize your contributions to my reef. Thanks for all your help. 65 gallon with 8 ATI T-5's, Vertex Skimmer, Kent Phosphate reactor and Coral life TurboSea pump. I can't believe the Montipora grows so fast along with the Xenia. Even the little Bird's nest outgrew the zoa trying to cover it up.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Re: Members Tanks and Bios

Post by Jahdiel »

You tank is looking great Tom. Lots of variety. :)
Karen
AquariKeeper
Amoeba

Post by AquariKeeper »

Have been in freshwater up until a year ago when I went salty. Did lot's of research and asking questions and this is what I have so far:

10 Gallon Nano
Current PC fixture (ordering viper tomorow! :mrgreen: )
Koralia nano and another powerhead(misc?) for flow, (app. 30-40 turnover rate?)
AC for mechanical and chemical filtration, running carbon and chemi-pure
~9 ponds of rock and 2" sandbed

Fish: Sixline who's hopefully finding a new home soon(anybody?), then a shrimp goby hopefully Yasha

Inverts: Nassarius, Astraea, Cerith and Dwarf cerith, stomatellas, one hermit, and my Randall's pistol shrimp

Coral: Zoos, mushies, rics, green candy canes, acan, favia, birdsnest, acros, and caps

The one thing I regret is ever buying pcs... :evil:
pheonixsoul25
Amoeba
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

hello im chris new to hobby, i have had several fresh water tanks. Till the end of oct, when a friend of mine game me a 5g hex with two clowns and live rock.

since then my son has tanken the 5g. and i have upgraded in size to a 29ish gallon tank with HOB filter. got tank stand and filter for $50.

Was nasty as hell had a single t-5 that was left working the other ballast was fried. Got it cleaned up new LR and DR and filled with salt water.

Put some skeletal coral in at the time i like the look at the time. let it cycle took about 3 1/2 weeks before everything leveled out in the tank.

Bought me a small clown to start off with. bought a good t-5 fixture from my roommate. i have two nano power heads in tank one from offline and
the other i bought from drew off this site(thanks again). I have changed the rock scape several time tring to get some thing i like so far so good with this
one. picked up a few frags from reefers paradise, hammer, and some eagle eye zoas. some mushrooms froms sandym off this site. And got some xenia last
night from jimbob21123 thanks again !just bought a 10g tank to build a small fuge/sump, to get rid of the HOB i have and support some pods. i had a cheesie
DIY refuge in tank i cut out with some macro in there the pods seem to like it lol but its ugly. hope to have my sump up and running next weekend. But let me
know what you thank so far i didn't realize how addictive this is lol, we are moving my son up to a 10g this weekend, think he is getting in to it also :mrgreen:
But this is the tank so far no xenias in the pic still putting those on rock.

andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Chris, Your tank looks nice and welcome to the saltwater addiction. I have been doing this for a long time now and it is very addictive.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
29nanomob
Copepod

Post by 29nanomob »

Hello my name is Ryan a month from being 21 and having a baby girl. (New to the hobby and like this site better than others ive been told to go too. but how do we get more reefers to sign on.) i started up my first nano 29 last month and just introduced a few soft coral, im konwn as strait to the point only know what im willing to read on, my attention span for listening to an expo is short unless i can have my hands on what we are talking about. i think i kinda annoyed someone in my appt because of it, but his tank is by far the most bad ass ive ever seen (Rory 18A) maybe ill meet someone as educational but equaly instructional as him i think in the 45 min he walked me around his tank i learned more than anyone has tryed to talk to me about, enough chatter. hope to make some friends out of this.
Attachments
salt tank 003small.jpg
salt tank 003small.jpg (130.03 KiB) Viewed 24454 times
reefing just isnt the same living outside the glass....
keeganpsp
Amoeba

Post by keeganpsp »

whats up my name is keegan,

i just started with the whole reef tank thing, i've been interested in it for a few months and just seriously buckled down with my reading and research about a week or two ago, and as someone told me on reef central read till my eyes bleed, and thats exactly what i've been doing. i've currently got a 55 gal. tank with a stand and a canopy, im gonna take it slow buying all my stuff just because of the pricing and all as well as build some of the things myself such as the sump and the ATO. im working at a local fish store (pet supplies plus) sadly we dont carry a wide variety of saltwater or reef equipment but im talking to my general manager into special ordering some stuff, possibly some fish not found in mobile or possibly some corals. im still new at this whole reef thing but im learning quick and its with help from people such as yourselves, i still have alot of questions and i'd be more than thankful for the help yall could provide. im glad to have found this site

Keegan
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

keeganpsp wrote:whats up my name is keegan,

i just started with the whole reef tank thing, i've been interested in it for a few months and just seriously buckled down with my reading and research about a week or two ago, and as someone told me on reef central read till my eyes bleed, and thats exactly what i've been doing. i've currently got a 55 gal. tank with a stand and a canopy, im gonna take it slow buying all my stuff just because of the pricing and all as well as build some of the things myself such as the sump and the ATO. im working at a local fish store (pet supplies plus) sadly we dont carry a wide variety of saltwater or reef equipment but im talking to my general manager into special ordering some stuff, possibly some fish not found in mobile or possibly some corals. im still new at this whole reef thing but im learning quick and its with help from people such as yourselves, i still have alot of questions and i'd be more than thankful for the help yall could provide. im glad to have found this site

Keegan
Welcome to the site. Its good that you are reading up on things before diving in. I will caution you about getting your manager to bring in fish you don't typically see. There really is a reason why you don't see them. Most of the time its because they are difficult to keep or just shouldn't be in the average home aquarium. On top of that it sounds like your store wouldn't know how to properly take care of them. I'm sure you can get any fish you really want if you go to one of the established stores in town and have them order one for you.
keeganpsp
Amoeba

Post by keeganpsp »

thank you for the warm welcome, hmm i never thought of it like that but that does make plenty of sense, and they wouldnt be taking care of the fish and all for me as soon as we god them in i would take them home immediately and make sure they assimilated to my tank and all but ill def have to talk to him and figure something out.

i have plenty more questions so thanks for the help in advance
keegan
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Welcome aboard, Keegan. :D We're all here to help each other out, so don't ever hesitate to ask.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
keeganpsp
Amoeba

Post by keeganpsp »

thank you amphiprion, im really glad to be here becuase im hoping to find some good stuff to start my reef tank with at some cheap prices ya know maybe something thats been used just in case i do mess something up im not wasting my whole paycheck on a protein skimmer and a filter lol and i was told this was the best place for everything in mobile, plus im glad to meet some people to help me and this is it thank you so much

keegan
29nanomob
Copepod

thinking about hosting a mbrk frag swap

Post by 29nanomob »

Ive talked to the modorator about previous mbrk meetings and im debating on hosting one if there is a chance that you would be interested in coming quote me so i can have an idea on if my place is large enough (Daulphin st near McGregor) plans may fall threw because im due to have a baby in 2 weeks so it will be in about 40days or so
29nanomob
Copepod

Post by 29nanomob »

[/u]ote="29nanomob"]Hello my name is Ryan a month from being 21 and having a baby girl. (New to the hobby and like this site better than others ive been told to go too. but how do we get more reefers to sign on.) i started up my first nano 29 last month and just introduced a few soft coral, im konwn as strait to the point only know what im willing to read on, my attention span for listening to an expo is short unless i can have my hands on what we are talking about. i think i kinda annoyed someone in my appt because of it, but his tank is by far the most bad ass ive ever seen (Rory 18A) maybe ill meet someone as educational but equaly instructional as him i think in the 45 min he walked me around his tank i learned more than anyone has tryed to talk to me about, enough chatter. hope to make some friends out of this.[/quote]

wow i remember this old tank... ive come along way in a few months....(75gal display 90 flowing gallons softies out the yahoo....)

NEW MEMBERS START KEEPING UP WITH THIS THING!!! WE HAVE SEVERAL NEW GUYS AND DONT KNOW A THING ABOUT THERE TANKS AND THEM SELVES!!!