No certainties in saltwater...(intro and shoutouts included)

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

rkelley_10
Amoeba

No certainties in saltwater...(intro and shoutouts included)

Post by rkelley_10 »

I just wanted to introduce myself to the members of this forum. My name's Rory and I'm a saltwater aquaholic. My addiction started about 3 months ago with the purchase of a 12 gallon nanocube. Since then I have acquired another 5.5g as well as a 90. During this time, through much research and pestering of experienced aquarists, I have gained much knowledge in creating and maintaining these mini ecosystems. In the setup process and purchase of livestock, corals, CUC, etc., I have nothing but positive things to say about anyone I have met in the hobby. Bever - always great service and an immense amount of knowledge when I walk into Progressive (the same can be said for Rich). Chris and Joe @ Reefer's - super nice guys....extremely knowledgeable and accommodating (will keep the store open when we call and say we're coming) will also get any Tyree and ORA product you want. Michelle from Fat Fish, selling stuff out of her house now. She gave ridiculous prices ($30 for a brand new Koralia 3, nice live rock from her display tank: 40# for $30) and was pleasant as can be. The guys at aquaria are always very helpful and willing to talk prices. Waterworld - really clean shop with a great variety of fish, frags of all sizes, and equipment (went there for the first time last night and the guy kept the store open for 20 mins after closing to talk to us and help us out). Redpheonix and Fishfood - I hate you....totally kidding. Excellent members who practically give good stuff away to perpetuate the hobby (thanks guys). B & B (hold on I'll explain) - let me first state that I will never buy corals there. The frag tanks are in very poor condition and most everything looks sick. I did however, buy a blue maxima for $40 that is thriving (even dropped his byssal filaments and miraculously reattached). I have purchased many fish from there (McCosker's Flasher Wrasse, Maroon and Gold Clown, 2x B & W oscellaris, 2x pink skunks, gold head sleeper goby, scopas tang, six line, etc.) and the only things to die were 2 snails and a cleaner shrimp. I think it is the responsibility of the buyer or trustworthy LFS employee/hobbyist to be knowledgeable in correctly evaluating the animal before purchase -- that's just me and if that offends anyone, I apologize. That being said, I'm noticing some funny behaviors in my 90g. My six line wrasse is constantly harrassed by every fish in the tank to be cleaned....and he cleans every one of them. My maroon and gold and one of my pink skunks share a bubble tip anemone. My Niger trigger tries to get the maroon and gold to clean him; instead, the trigger wedges himself in a crevice and the clown hosts him. I have 3 XXL turbo snails that were more destructive in my 90g than in my 12g. I have a Coral Beauty that does not even glance at coral or clams. I know my stock list sounds tall, but I closely monitor my water quality and the health of my stock. Sorry for the long post. Just wanted to formally introduce myself and say that in my short experience I have met some great people and learned that there are no certainties in saltwater. Thanks
12g modded JBJ NC, 5.5g DIY all-in-one pico, 90g corner-flow w/ 30g sump
Crustman
Amoeba

Re: No certainties in saltwater...(intro and shoutouts included)

Post by Crustman »

I posted a longer reply but it got lost. Glad you are having fun with your tank. I have a Coral Beauty angel also and it is a great reef fish.
Tom