RO/DI QUESTIONS

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

dun2run
Amoeba

RO/DI QUESTIONS

Post by dun2run »

Thought I could get some good opinions by asking you guys:
1. Is it worth buying an RO unit?
2. What can you do to use or not "waste" the waste water from it?
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: RO/DI QUESTIONS

Post by Amphiprion »

It is definitely worth it. However, you should be sure to get good quality filters that can help dramatically extend the life of more expensive parts, like the membrane and DI resin. It can make a big difference. You should also invest in a TDS meter if you own an RO/DI unit.

Watering plants is a great use for the wastewater--well, that and planted aquariums that can use the extra minerals and higher concentrations of nitrogen and phosphorus.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Neuticle
Copepod

Post by Neuticle »

Def. worth it, if you shop around a 5 stage ( 3 prefilters+ RO+ DI) shouldn't cost more than $150. The annual cost to run them is tiny compare to spending 50 cents a gallon, plus you have influence over the quality of the water. I use about 2lbs of DI resin a year for my 130gal system + prefilters, about $40 a year total.

My waste water goes to my vegetable garden, but you could do anything you wanted with it. It's still potable water, safe for anything other than your reef tank. Your carbon block will have neutralized the chlorine, so storage of waste water for consumption would be slightly less safe.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I wouldn't drink it unless you have it inspected. Bacteria definitely grows in the lines, especially if your sediment filters are larger than .5 microns.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium