Another Aiptasia-eating fish

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Another Aiptasia-eating fish

Post by Amphiprion »

I recently came across a lovely little fish known as the bristletailed filefish (Acreichthys tomentosus). They aren't seen terribly often in the hobby, but they are noted by European aquarists to aggressively eat Aiptasia. I actually went out on a limb and purchased one of these little rarities on LiveAquaria to see if they would be reef safe and live up to the hype. After a few weeks, there are very few individuals of Aiptasia left--a few small, isolated ones remain for now. Anyway, this fish doesn't seem to touch any of the corals that I currently have, several of which are usually prime targets, including Goniopora, Cyphastrea, Trachyphyllia, and assorted "SPS" corals. None are worse for wear, nor have I ever observed the fish picking on anything. Granted, I don't have the huge assortment that some may have, so mileage may vary in terms of what will be picked on. It will also vary by individual to another degree, as well. Just letting everyone who doesn't already know about these guys, in case peppermint shrimp don't work and butterflies are not a good option for you. Another plus about these fish is that not only do they eat Aiptasia and are reasonably reef safe, but they stay small at ~3" and are extremely peaceful.

(not mine):
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Neuticle
Copepod

Re: Another Aiptasia-eating fish

Post by Neuticle »

Very cool man, B&B had one on Monday, I felt bad for the little guy, no doubt he'll go to somebody who doesn't appreciate him like you do.
100 gal mixed reef, 30 gal sump, 4x54w T5, 2x150w HQI, OctoX 200 skimmer, Kalk top-off, rocky mixed reef.
Jahdiel
Astrea snail

Post by Jahdiel »

Wow that is to cool! Beautiful fish also. If anyone hears of another one around please post or call me.
Thanks for the info Andrew
Karen
rkelley_10
Amoeba

Post by rkelley_10 »

B&B had a bristletail filefish which they aptly named "aptasia-eating filefish" for $30 on Saturday. Almost got it but I have too many inverts.
12g modded JBJ NC, 5.5g DIY all-in-one pico, 90g corner-flow w/ 30g sump
Crustman
Amoeba

Post by Crustman »

Sounds good. I don't know if I would trust one though for a reef tank. What will he eat when the Aiptasia is gone? Do they eat majanos? Good luck with him
rkelley_10
Amoeba

Post by rkelley_10 »

They've been reputed to eat majanos. They love crustaceans though, especially shrimp. I'm still trying to catch a falco hawkfish and remove him from my tank. Any ideas? Have already tried the homemade bottle trap and fishing with a hook?
12g modded JBJ NC, 5.5g DIY all-in-one pico, 90g corner-flow w/ 30g sump