NEW TO HOBBY

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

dun2run
Amoeba

Re: NEW TO HOBBY

Post by dun2run »

Well, finally got the big glass box in the house now. Just did a leak test on all of it, sure enough the sump has a small leak in the corner but the water seems to be coming from in between the glass and the plastic bottom support rail that goes around the tank. Guess some silicone can fix it. Also, just an inexperienced observation, one of the overflows seems to be more full than the other. The water is actually almost covering up the entire drain pipe all except about an inch from the vent hole in the top. I noticed that when I covered or closed off the vent the water imediately drained down. Could it be the vent hole is too big and causing the higher level in the overflow? Or, should I not worry about it.
Phisher
Hermit Crab

Re: NEW TO HOBBY

Post by Phisher »

Yea you might have to do some adjusting to the overflows. Basically the less air it draws the more water it will flow with a full siphon moving the most water. Try adjusting until you have a balance between enough flow, the right water level and noise. Also make sure the tank is level.

Fixing a leaking seem can be a bear. If its just a small common size tank you may want to just replace it. If you want to fix it, you really need to scrape out all the silicone and reseal the inside completely. A new silicone bead will not bond properly to the old. So basically it might hold or it might not. If you reseal make sure the clean the glass thoroughly with razor blades and steal wool then wipe down with acetone to remove oils or residue.