Topic: MBRK rejuvenation

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: Topic: MBRK rejuvenation

Post by Amphiprion »

Well, that and jobs are still scarce and there is little rehiring actually occurring. I suppose maybe that region of Florida may be slightly less affected by the whole recession. Mobile is just now starting to get the effects that have been going on for a while, though.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Yeah the recession is a huge part of the lack of activity in the hobby I would have to agree.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Fishfood »

Mobile has a lot more going for it, job wise. Pensacola is turing away all kinds of industry while Mobile is welcoming it with open arms. Even when the economy was good its just shocking that mobile only had 3 stores if you count Fat Fish over in Daphne. You are talking a population that is at least 3 times larger. Pensacola,s housing market was plumeting when we decided to move over here. I got lucky and sold my place but at a big discount while the homes in mobile were not really going down, or not much at all.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Wow, Fat fish is still open.

I have to say in the past year I have had less time out of town (which equates to less money), a pay cut and no overtime when I am in town mostly because of the economy. I can see how it could effect the hobby. One of the reasons that I am getting back into it is that there is a large support base here and with some of the early members which I still consider friends and that reef keeping is something that the family can enjoy (and if done right can cost less than one meal out a month).

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Hmm, that is odd, then. I do agree that Mobile has been spared the brunt of all of this fallout, for sure.

No, Fat Fish unfortunately closed its doors last year.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Nope Fat fish closed down about 6 months ago.

One of the things that have kept me into the hobby is that I finally graduated college and have not had any kids yet. The increase in my income has helped me with keeping my hobby (obsession) going. Although we have been hit with the effects a little with the recession the past few months, but I don’t plan on getting out of the hobby for a little while longer. I will continue as long as I can because it is something that I love to do. I think things may change once we have kids or we decide to move out of this house that we are in now. I actually have thought of getting out of the hobby recently for those two reasons but I keep going with it because I love dealing messing with aquariums and seeing the corals grow.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Kids were one reason that I took an absence a while back. When they were little they both loved it. My son even moreso, he new the names of most of the corals I had and on top of that he knew the genus and species name of the giant squid 9I am also addicted to the Science Channel). Now he is getting older (almost 8) and my daughter (5) has seen the 80 gallon that I had been planning on setting up and wanted me to get one going again. While I can't afford to get a sump and a few other things for the 80 and Fisher wouldn't be able to help me maintain it while I am out of town I think he has the mental capacity to help me with a smaller tank until I have to leave again for work. He can learn all the specifics of keeping a tank and since he already has a chore calendar, that maintenance can be included in his current chores (with my help for now). If I have to leave for work and he can maintain it I will be good. it seems like the ages from 5 to 7 are the hardest. they lose focus, you have the impending doom of private school tuition and with the economy and the price of a private school education hobbies lose out. i have only been fishing 4 times in the past 4 years and floundering only maybe a dozen times. For me those are relatively cheap hobbies and since I fish/flounder at night it takes little away from 'family time'. With a reef tank I can teach the kids about the tank and what it takes to keep one healthy. I think that adds to their education now. Even with the economy problems I see it as a win-win situation since there will be more things at home that interest the kids rather than f-ing Chuck-E-Cheese.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

andy4499 wrote: and have not had any kids yet.
Uh, what are you waiting for ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Yeah Scott I am sure kids do put a stop to things that you enjoy, but with a kid I am sure it is even better then having an aquarium. I am sure they will change my life once we do have one (or more).
snoopdog wrote:
andy4499 wrote: and have not had any kids yet.
Uh, what are you waiting for ?
Well now we are just waiting on my wife to get pregnenet. We have been trying for a few months now and have not had any luck. I am sure we will be having a kid soon it just takes time.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I hate to tell you this Andy but waiting isn't part of the pregnancy game. If you are just sitting around waiting nothing is going to happen :mrgreen:
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

Fishfood wrote:I hate to tell you this Andy but waiting isn't part of the pregnancy game. If you are just sitting around waiting nothing is going to happen :mrgreen:
I here you Drew, I think waiting was not the correct word to use their, we are working on that. I see you got jokes :)
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

andy4499 wrote: pregnenet
I pinpointed your problem.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
rkelley_10
Amoeba

Post by rkelley_10 »

I haven't read all the posts in this three but I want MBRK to return to it's former glory. We have a great resource of reefers in this community. I've offered to auction a frag pack to boost membership and club funds but have had no response. Otherwise I literally have 1000's of zoas that need homes and would love to bold a frag swap. Hell, I'll hold it at my apartment if necessary. I've been in this hobby about 8 months and have alreay met some of the cooolest people yet: Andy, beaver, drew, chris, Joe among others. Let's get the ball rolling and stop bit bitching. We have the resources and the passion so a meet is in order. This doesn't have to be a 1-post a day forum. We can make it work, it will just take the footwork and organization necessary. Let's get off our asses and make something happen
12g modded JBJ NC, 5.5g DIY all-in-one pico, 90g corner-flow w/ 30g sump
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

rkelley_10 wrote:I've been in this hobby about 8 months and have alreay met some of the cooolest people yet: Andy, beaver, drew, chris, Joe among others.
If we can restart this engine you will meet so many cool people, and passionate people. For my list all you really need to do is look at the first few pages of the member list or go to the beginning of the forums. When I first met Snoop, I think it was on RC back in 2003 when I was just getting started he let a complete stranger come over to his house, steal xenia out of his tanks and talk for hours. Now he and Amy just lets me come over and steal tanks (thanks Kevin and Amy). I can't tell you how many times that has happened though. My wife used to get paranoid when I did that but after I while she realized that we were just all 'reef geeks' and were no real harm. Lonestar even came over once and wired an extension I was building on my house.
rkelley_10 wrote: Let's get the ball rolling and stop bit bitching. We have the resources and the passion so a meet is in order. This doesn't have to be a 1-post a day forum. We can make it work, it will just take the footwork and organization necessary. Let's get off our asses and make something happen
That is what I am screaming. Really, I have only been 'back' a couple of days but I already feel the same way I did 4 years ago. We do have the resources to make it happen, what we need is the resources (the members) to show us that they want it to happen. I should have my tank up and running to some extent by this weekend. I don't know if it will cycle but I am pretty sure that I won't add frags for another week just to make sure. After that, let the auction begin.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Scott wrote:
rkelley_10 wrote:I've been in this hobby about 8 months and have alreay met some of the cooolest people yet: Andy, beaver, drew, chris, Joe among others.
Now he and Amy just lets me come over and steal tanks (thanks Kevin and Amy).
Well you left some.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.