Something worth seeing

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

strout
Copepod

Something worth seeing

Post by strout »

If you are over in the Biloxi area, our LFS, Pass Rd. Pets ph 228-388-5651, closed on Mondays, has set up a new frag tank that is worth seeing. The tank is 60x24x24 and he had a local man build some LED lights for the tank ( I havn't seen the lights yet, but have heard they are awesome) He bought a new skimmer for the new tank, not sure what kind. He had bought a Reef Octopus skimmer for the tank, but I bought that one from him and I think he went with a different kind the second time around and a mo better one :D he couldn't have a customer with a better skimmer than he had. The tank has, which I know nothing about but I like, what he calls a Cali Overflow in the tank. The overflow runs across the entire lenght of the tank across the top back wall of the tank. I really like this overflow, no corner overflow boxes taking up floor space in the tank or no overflow box in the center of the back glass running from the top to the bottom of the tank taking up space. Anyway, if you are over this way, stop in and take a look, he is supposed to get a big coral shipment in today I think. JMO here, he tends to be a bit over priced on his corals as he is the only game in town over this way but its worth stopping in and look at the tank.
jimbob21123
Amoeba

Re: Something worth seeing

Post by jimbob21123 »

im glad he finally got the new tank up, last time i was there he only had a couple corals left in the old one and wasnt getting anymore til the new tank was ready. im about to check his site and see if he has any pics. with that new tank huge tank im guessing now would be a good time to bring this big leather mushroom i have and trade it for store credit :D my percula clown might get mad cause he been trying to host it but he will get over it.
strout
Copepod

Re: Something worth seeing

Post by strout »

Well, I saw the tank for the first time yesterday with the LED lights on, the man that build them did an awesome job. The one thing that really surprised me about the lights were how high they are off the top of the tanks water surface. They used a par meter when setting the lights in place and the store owner assured me that the lights needed to be this high, I would guess, just a guess, that the lights are two feet are higher of the waters surface, another thing is, there is no heat, you can touch the bulbs when they are on.. When you look at these lights, you understand why they cost so much. Each bulb is mounted in its own reflector, and there are a lot of bulbs. The owner said each of these reflectors are $5.00 each. Each bulb has two wires soldered (sp) to it and I am sure this was a very tedious job and hard on the eyes to do. The owner of the store told me that the parts alone cost $600.00 and that was, I think, with out the drivers. I think the drivers are like a ballast for MH lights, not sure about this. The lights also have a remote control, you can switch from the white lights to the blue ones with the click of a button, I thought that was kinda cool. As soon as I saw them I wanted a set for my new tank lol. The owner of the store told me that the man will make a set for whom ever wants them for $1,300.00. That seems like a lot, and it is a lot, but the parts aren't cheap and I would venture a guess that it takes some where around 20 to 40 hours to make these lights, 20 hours if you know what you are doing, 40 if you don't lol. The down side, I was telling a friend of mine in Florida about these lights. He told me that a few people in his SW tank club had tried these lights on their SPS coral tanks, (which is what I want) and that they had switched back to MH lights as they found that their SPS corals weren't achieving their full color potential. Anyway, they look great.