WTB Live rock and Sand.

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

Buddy08
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

WTB Live rock and Sand.

Post by Buddy08 »

Just getting into the hobby and have everything needed for initial setup except rock and sand. I need between 100-150lbs or live rock and 100lbs of sand but my funds are getting close to their limits and cant pay 6$ a lb at b&b. If so, i would have a rock aquarium and no corals/fish. Please contact me if youre interested in parting with some of yours. Email is carter.08@hotmail.com
Babyreef
Amoeba

Re: WTB Live rock and Sand.

Post by Babyreef »

Not sure how much your looking to spend but here is a link to where a few of my friends purchased theirs from.
http://liveaquaria.com/product/prod_dis ... catid=1183
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

I have looked there and was informed by someone when they bought theres, it was basically bleached rock and had a lot of die off. A lot of people one livingreefs recommended tbs, live aquaria, marco, and saltycritter but im affraid of getting just bleached rock and tbs is rediculous in price. Ive been monitoring craigslist. One guy getting out of the hobby is selling his to me 3$ a pound but hes in pcola and i dont know the condition of his rock and what his water has been treated with. does it matter?
zman6550
Amoeba

Post by zman6550 »

Progressive Marine has rock and sand. They're in the middle of moving to Airport and Hillcrest but they may be open by now
pheonixsoul25
Amoeba

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

Were at on airport and hillcrest not trying to tread jack but that's in my area....
100 gallon mixed reef
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Buddy08 wrote: im affraid of getting just bleached rock
Unfortunately, most rock is just dead junk, IMHO. Whether it's the overpriced $10/lb stark grey liverock sold around here, or $3 base rock. There's essentially no life at all left on it.
strout
Copepod

Post by strout »

I know LR has an inherent high cost associated with it because of where its gathered and the shipping cost involved in getting it to market. With all of the bad things (maybe not bad, at the very least, stuff that you don't want in your tank) that can get into your tank. If I were to start a new tank again, which I am, I will be buying dry rock with no life on it at all and then just seeding the dry rock with a few small pieces of live rock. It may take longer this way, but no crabs and no Bristle worms and all of those unwanted critters, and no $10 a pound. JMO
Buddy08
Copepod

Post by Buddy08 »

i have purchased a lot at progressive marine. Theyre rock ranged in price if i remember correctly but its still an average of 5$ a lb. I think theyre just about moved by now. Its in the blue roofed building behind checkers next to rite aid. My next off day, Im going to go talk to them and see what my options are. If not, it looks like ill be getting some used live rock from pcola. Is there anything wrong with that?
pheonixsoul25
Amoeba

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

Wow that is walking distant from my place cool and yeah live rock is a double edged sword I Like to pre cycle mine with rock out of my tank in a rubber made out back for a few month or putting dry rock in my sump. Imo rock is rock jus find the shapes and sizes to build the rock scape you like.
100 gallon mixed reef
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I might suggest bulk reef supply. Its not live but you know you aren't getting anything you don't want on it. Now I haven't ever seen the rock but it gets good reviews. If I were to set up a new tank I'd go that route and then get a piece or two local to seed the thing.
Innerarity Reefs
Copepod

Post by Innerarity Reefs »

All of my live rock is purple and comes from existing tanks I break down and buy, my live rock is $5/lb but if you're getting that much I will make you a killer deal, and you can hand pick it yourself. I have a 150g Rubbermaid tub thats driled and plumbed with a sump, skimmer, heater, and has a halide over it. The tub has fish, hermit crabs, snails, coral, and other inverts in it. Give me a call 850 982 8453

Innerarity Reefs
13118 Sorrento Rd stc C
Pensacola Florida 32507

We're actually in Perdido but thats the address
pheonixsoul25
Amoeba

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

Rock looks better in person tj the pics don't do it justice he has a mh Light over the live rock to keep the growth going looks great best live rock I've seen!
100 gallon mixed reef
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

I was just in tj's store and it looks nice. Its a whole lot better than b&bs
pheonixsoul25
Amoeba

Post by pheonixsoul25 »

yeah b&b's might as well be wet base rock
100 gallon mixed reef
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Thats what it looks like to me and it smells incredibly bad also and if you go look at their base rock it looks the same