JBJ Nanocube 105w ballast failure

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

JBJ Nanocube 105w ballast failure

Post by snoopdog »

I bought this 28 gallon aquarium from Marine Depot with the stand a few years ago, paid $320 shipped for all of it.

My wife smelled a burnt odor and I tracked it down to the aquarium, since the light was not on. I took the lid apart and the bulb does not look burned but the light will not come on. When I got a shipment of snails in the other day I left the invoice on top of the tank, I wonder if that blocked enough air to burn up the ballast. The only ID on the ballast is 1x105w and it is made by JBJ. They want $110 for the ballast and $30-$50 for the bulb. That is half the price of the whole setup which is retarded.

Ideas ?
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Re: JBJ 105w ballast failure

Post by snoopdog »

Okay, it is definitely the ballast. I opened it up and the left side is burned in two right at the plug for the output. This thing does not look well built. The thing is $128 shipped from JBJ, that is just this POS ballast.

Ideas ?

"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Babyreef
Amoeba

Post by Babyreef »

What type of light is the ballast for? If its a t5 or compact flourescent setup maybe check out the workhorse ballasts? From an electric supply store they are very inexpensive.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Well this thing is extremely slim, it goes inside this plastic canopy so there is very little room for size difference. It is a quad 105 watt bulb.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Babyreef
Amoeba

Post by Babyreef »

I just looked that bulb up, never seen a bulb quite like that one before. not quite sure what ballast could fit your need with it, however i have a workhorse 5 sitting in a box if you have an old bulb and mabe a wattmeter to play around with. i think it pushes around 110 watts for t5ho just not sure about that bulb..
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I just looked, those are pretty damn slim. The original ballast is 1.25" wide, the Workhorse 5 is 1.72" wide. It looks like the enclosure has room for maybe 1.8" inches so I may be good, all other measurements are close enough to not worry about. That bulb has two blue wires and two red wires. I would imagine it is basically a two wires for actinic, two for white. What part of town are you in ? I may actually take you up on that.

This is the bulb.

http://www.marinedepot.com/JBJ_28_Gallo ... BL-vi.html
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Babyreef
Amoeba

Post by Babyreef »

im located near grelot and hillcrest
Babyreef
Amoeba

Post by Babyreef »

Sent you a pm
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

my only concern with the workhorse is the heat.. don't the workhorse ballast run hot? I honestly don't know because I've never had one but thought they did.
Babyreef
Amoeba

Post by Babyreef »

Come to think of it mine did run warm if the hood has a built in fan or 2 i wouldnt see it being an issue though but who knows
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

The hood on the JBJ has two fans.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Babyreef
Amoeba

Post by Babyreef »

Nice meeting you. let me know how that ballast works out for you, both on the size and the heat it may produce.
If you need anything just let me know.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Okay, after using Babyreef's wiring recommendations from the other post it did work. The Fulham Workhorse 5 is in the JBJ Nanocube and working like a champ. Seems even brighter but I could be wrong on that. Oh, and thanks Babyreef for providing the working solution and not even wanting anything in return for fixing my hood, you saved me $130.00

I promised some pics and here they are. The ballast is secured on the side, I had to turn it a different way but it did fit in the hood just fine. And just so that Google Spider does crawl this I want to add a few shameless plugs for the original ballast :)

Model KB336
USE 1x105W
JBJ Lighting Electronic Ballast Rapid Start

DSCN1320.JPG
DSCN1325.JPG
DSCN1326.JPG
DSCN1327.JPG
DSCN1329.JPG
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Babyreef
Amoeba

Post by Babyreef »

Hi snoopdog wanted to say your welcome. Let me know how the heat is off that ballast. Glad to see it fit well.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

There are two fans in the hood and they blow pretty hard, I would think it would be nothing major as far as heat.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.