Need Everyones Opinion

Discussion on aquatic lighting.

Moderator: snoopdog

Kresnahw22
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

Need Everyones Opinion

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Ok I know Odyssey fixtures aren't the best choice for lighting but on a 20 gallon long being shallow would a 20" Aquarium Light Strip T5 HO 72W Odyssea work. The bulbs are 2- 10,000k at 18 w each and 2 actinic blue bulbs at 18 w each . For corals this is the exact list that will be place in my tank. Suggest placement if it'll help. Neon green candy cane, Superman monti, maze brain, pink birdnest, hammer coral and maybe one easy sps coral.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Re: Need Everyones Opinion

Post by Amphiprion »

Lighting should be okay, especially if you use better lamps than the stock ones. As for placement recommendations, I can't give you an exact answer, because there are too many variables involved--you simply can't make generalizations. In all, start everything at or near the bottom, slowly moving them up over time to where you'd like them. Most use color as a basis for the final position, but that isn't always optimal for the animals themselves.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

Amphiprion wrote:Lighting should be okay, especially if you use better lamps than the stock ones. As for placement recommendations, I can't give you an exact answer, because there are too many variables involved--you simply can't make generalizations. In all, start everything at or near the bottom, slowly moving them up over time to where you'd like them. Most use color as a basis for the final position, but that isn't always optimal for the animals themselves.
Thank you for the info. So even if I buy from someone using stronger lighting do I need to light acclimate them still. Just start from bottom and move up a few days until they are in there desired place or can I just place them.
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

Kresnahw22 wrote:Thank you for the info. So even if I buy from someone using stronger lighting do I need to light acclimate them still. Just start from bottom and move up a few days until they are in there desired place or can I just place them.
Yes, still start them out carefully. Unless you can quantitatively verify the other person's lighting was stronger, then play it safe--though that still doesn't take into account different types of lighting and how they affect corals. That's not to say that it may be perfectly fine to place them as-is, but I wouldn't recommend it just in case.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Kresnahw22
Copepod

Post by Kresnahw22 »

I will acclimate them. Just to be on the safe side when I do decide to purchase them. Thank you.
If anyone else wants to state their opinion on her please do so.