Animal Planet's "Tanked!" series

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Animal Planet's "Tanked!" series

Post by Amphiprion »

Anybody watch "Tanked!" on Animal Planet, yet? While entertaining at times, I'm not that big of a fan. I think the show is better suited for the Discovery Channel rather than Animal Planet, since these guys focus more on tank fabrication than anything else. The whole ado about ethics is an entirely different story. Granted, we only see what the producers/directors want, but it still makes it look like you can have a tank made and toss in some fish. At the very least, they could add a 5 second disclaimer or something. Anyway, thoughts anyone?

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/tanked/
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
Buddy08
Copepod
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: Animal Planet's "Tanked!" series

Post by Buddy08 »

agreed.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I had friends just raving about the show, asking me every week if I had watched it. I already had suspected it would piss me off when I watched it.

So I watched the first episode, I considered the entire show silly most of the time I was watching it. Build a tank, throw a bunch of stuff at it. The owner of the tank has no &@*&# idea how to run a tank and has no business having one. I can see a flux of people running to aquatics shops and people taking advantage of them at this point.

I got 15 minutes into the first show and turned it back to Dr House or something. I found the show irresponsible at best. I kind of felt the same way about that show "pimp my ride", which I watched one time. Someone does not take care of their car, hey let's completely redo something they did not take care of.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
jt3069
Copepod

Post by jt3069 »

I kind of felt the same way about that show "pimp my ride", which I watched one time. Someone does not take care of their car, hey let's completely redo something they did not take care of
completely agreed
still haven't watched this tanked show, but i bet mr. saltwatertank would do better
LIVING CHEMISTRY SET
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I have seen many of the episodes and it is cool that they are able to build tanks in any shape or form. The thing that irritates me is that they build these tanks dump tap water in them (I seen it on one of the episodes) and then they throw not just a few fish but a ton of fish in some of them. I would like to see one of the tanks two months after it is built and see how many things are still alive. Some of the tank designs look cool and all, but I don’t think they are very practical for maintaining them.
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

There were posts on other forums about how some of these tanks end up nuking and all the fish get wiped out. The Phonebooth tank from last season was for sale on eBay because all of the fish died (IIRC).

If it weren't for fish, this show would fit perfectly on TruTV. It's so fake it's ridiculous...
Amphiprion
Astrea snail

Post by Amphiprion »

I hadn't heard about the fate of the phonebooth tank. That's sad and shows what their company is primarily interested in.
Andrew

25g planted nature aquarium
AuroraDrvr
Copepod

Post by AuroraDrvr »

Yea. Not sure if you've ever seen the video of (I forget who) but some reefing blog interviewed Brett, and asked about how and why they can instantly stock a tank with such a high bio-load. He basically said that he's developed a product that allows you to instantly cycle your tank, or it doesn't need a cycle, or something along those lines. :roll:
andy4499
Chromis

Post by andy4499 »

I remember seeing the phone booth episode and I found the auction. Here it is if you want to check it out.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Phone-Booth-Aqu ... 8910369915
225 Gallon Aquarium, Two 40 gallon frag tanks, 75 gallon refugium, 30 gallon sump
neptune aquacontroller III
Lighting = 3 x 400 watt MH, 4 x 6' VHO's,
Pumps = Panworld 100 (return), 2 x Vortech MP40, Seio 1500
ASM G-4 Skimmer, GEO calcium reactor.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

The blatant lack of respect of the hobby was one thing about the show. The general goofiness was on another level.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Nomadic1
Amoeba

Post by Nomadic1 »

Those two goombas are total assclowns...pardon my French :lol:
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Oh I love the word Ass Clown, I use it all the time.

Hell I learned most of my good words from Office Space.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Rebel01
Amoeba

Post by Rebel01 »

Look at the Silver lining. Lots of clueless people watch the show, they go out and buy lots of nice equipment that ends up for sale at very low prices.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Well that is the nice thing about the hobby. Resell value is probably 20-30% for our hobby.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.