Fragging non-branching hammer.

Techniques And Gear For Coral Propagation And Fragging!

Moderator: snoopdog

Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Fragging non-branching hammer.

Post by Scott »

I ran across this post on another message board and thought I would summarize it for others:Hammer Fragging Technique

To summarize it the person fragging the hammer put a wide rubber band around the skeleton of the hammer. This cause the tissue to recede from around the rubber band. After a short time the tissue was gone from where the rubber band was a Dremil was used to cut the skeleton. Using this technique no coral tissue was cut and there so no possibility of infection and little stress is incurred.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Sounds like a great plan but my thought is... and you can take it for what it is worth since I am a girl and all but if you raise a hammer up to a size that is big enough to frag would you really want to chance killing by trying to frag it? My luck would be it would croak and then I would really be upset!
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

If it was mine I would be reluctant to frag it unless I was going to make multiple frags. The chances of anything happening using this method are pretty slim though. I have read other posts where people just hack the skeleton with a hack saw and try and seal the flesh with superglue. This way appears to be fairly stress free even though the tissue is receding it is only around the rubber band. If I could buy a hammer that was receding in a display tank somewhere for a bargain I would and frag the dying piece off using this method.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

my old boss tought me how to do that last year...shes done it a billion times and only lost one, and i think that one was already 1/2 dead when we recieved it..we just wanted to try to save it
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I've also heard that you can use a zip-tie and just tighten it a little more and a little more at a time. Sounds like it would be easy to do, but I'm just a newbie so I wouldn't really know.
Brandon