Mysis Shrimp in Refug.

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Mysis Shrimp in Refug.

Post by KrazyPlace »

I was wonder what you guys (gals) have done to get mysis shrimp started in your sumps? Does everyone have them? Do I need to buy them, or do they just come naturally with clumps of macro algae? Anyone have a good pick of what a "live" one looks like?
Wind me up!
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

If I am not mistaken mystic shrimp are freshwater shrimp and will not live in your sump....not sure
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

I also am curious to get a solid answer. I , through researching this a while back for my african cichlids found alot of conflicting information. I will look up the old links and post them here later. From memory though I believe that Mysis and Mysids shrimp are different species and there are many variations requiring different salinity values. I remember a 50% salinity was recomended for the type I was going to culture , but the factor that kept me from trying was there were many failures due to the mysids low tolerence for any water impurities (ie nitrites and nitrates).

Also I think they produce small amounts of offspring per female making it almost impossible or worthless to due on a small scale. Things may have changed though since then...that has been a long while back.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

They like low flow, so if there is a spot in your sump where there is very low flow they will eventually show up on there own.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

snoopdog wrote:They like low flow, so if there is a spot in your sump where there is very low flow they will eventually show up on there own.
are you talking about mysis shrimp or copepods?
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Mysis shrimp
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Thank you for your feedback. I want to correct myself...I meant refug not sump. I will read all the links you've supplied. Thanks again.
Wind me up!