Lighting Opinion

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Lighting Opinion

Post by KrazyPlace »

Hey group! I want to milk your vast knowledge. I have a 65G (36”x18”x24”) tank with four 36” VHO’s on it for a total of 380 watts of lighting. I am going to add a metal halide very soon. I am looking at www.HelloLights.com’s Magnetek M59 ballast kit, reflector, and a USHIO 400 watt - 10,000K bulb. I want to get into the hard corals, but I need to be able to transition from the softies I already have.

Since my tank is 24” tall, how do you guys think this would work out? I feel comfortable that the 400 watt is good for the hard corals, but between now and the time I completely trade off all my softies, do you think they will get sun-burnt?

Has anyone used the Magnetek M59 ballast kits from www.HelloLights.com? What is your opinion of them? Anyone want to sell a ballast cheap?
Wind me up!
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Re: Lighting Opinion

Post by Scott »

KrazyPlace wrote:I have a 65G (36”x18”x24”) tank with four 36” VHO’s on it for a total of 380 watts of lighting. I am going to add a metal halide very soon. I am looking at www.HelloLights.com’s Magnetek M59 ballast kit, reflector, and a USHIO 400 watt - 10,000K bulb. I want to get into the hard corals, but I need to be able to transition from the softies I already have.
I really think that it is overkill and you will most definately have problems with water temp with the 400 unless you have a chiller. I have a 400w on my 55 gallon and I could only run it 4 times a day for 1.5 hours at a time. I still got very good color compared to just the VHO's but IMO a 250 would be better for your set up. If you plan on keeping SPS on the sandbed you might just limit it to Montiporas, Porites or other lower light genuses. Acroporas can be kept on the sandbed or lower in the tank, but you will have to choose the species that are less light needy like Acropora youngei.
between now and the time I completely trade off all my softies, do you think they will get sun-burnt?
I have Xenia and a green Sinularia that are high in my tank but to one end and they love the light. You will have to acclimate everything in your tank to the new lights. You can do this by starting the photoperiod of the halide at 1 hour on 1 hour off. after 2 weeks you can increase the on time to 1.5 hours for a couple of weeks and keep increasing it until you get the photoperiod to where you want it. This step is pretty important to keep the zooanthellae from over producing oxygen and causing the corals to bleach or have a shut down reaction.
Has anyone used the Magnetek M59 ballast kits from www.HelloLights.com? What is your opinion of them? Anyone want to sell a ballast cheap?
Check E-Bay. They have really cheap ballasts and good brices on bulbs. Shipping will be high on magnetic ballasts.

~Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

For your MH ballast needs, check out http://www.1000bulbs.com/, I ordered four 250w (M58) Sola ballasts from them, $40 each, and they only charged me $10 shipping for all four. Not bad!
-Josh Murrah
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Scott wrote:I really think that it is overkill and you will most definately have problems with water temp with the 400 unless...
Thanks Scott, I was concerned about that. I worry that I will put in the 250 and wish I put in the 400. Of course it works both ways and I do not want a chiller!

I've read about breaking in the light cycle. I think if I down size to a 250 watt then I would be comfortable with my softies (assuming I break them in slowly).
ShagMan wrote:For your MH ballast needs, check out http://www.1000bulbs.com/, I ordered four 250w (M58) Sola ballasts from them, $40 each, and they only charged me $10 shipping for all four. Not bad!
The price for www.HelloLights.com is a little more than that, so thanks.

I need a reflector and a bulb; do you think www.HelloLights.com? Where do I go for cheap, cheap, cheap?
Wind me up!
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

ShagMan wrote:I'd be willing to part out the lighting...$150 for the 2 x 175w MH setup, ballasts, XM 20k bulbs almost new, and spider reflectors...
This sounds perfect. If the 2 bulbs are too much heat, then I will either take one out or drop a fan in the sump.

Scott, what do you think about this?
Wind me up!
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I am going to make my reflectors out of aluminum flashing from HD. I also have a little piece of hammertone to test. If I can't get good reflection I will probably just buy some like Shag has.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

not a light expert by any means but most lights only are good for a 2ft area. With this in mind you might be a little low on light on the ends if you place the MH in the center of your tank. You might need to use two MH in youir tank since it is in between. I agree that with the MH you might have temp problems so have that in your plans..either chiller, climate control room, or-and fans. Some combination will be needed. With a tank that deep there is no reason you can't keep a few soft and leathers, zoos on the bottom and sps on top. Also consider your power source and If you have to add some outlets alway add more than you think you will need for extra equiptment, fans, chiller, ect. Running extra power is cheap but the time and work involved is more difficult and time consuming.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Running 2 MHs would give me more tank coverage, but in the long run 2 bulbs will cost more. I think I like the idea though.

I will calculate the amperage all this will take up. I have another outlet next to the tank that runs through a separate breaker. I can split the power consumption between them.
Wind me up!