Digital Cameras

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

Brandon
Chromis

Digital Cameras

Post by Brandon »

Looking at getting a high-end digital Camera... Anyone really into photography or have one they love?
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I was playing with the 9 megapixel Sony at Best buy last weekend. It was pretty cool. There are a few photography forums like on ReefCentral that may be able to help more.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I would not judge a camera by megapixels alone. What I would judge one by would be pictures taken by other reefers. Find some awesome pictures by other reefers and find out what they use for a camera. The quality of the CCD, megapixel, ISO range and number of possible focus positions of the camera mean alot in quality. Also find out how close the camera can zoom into the subject. Alot of cameras are great for outdoor picture taking but cannot take a macro shot worth a shit. Look into what lenses the camera can hold and make sure you can get a good filter set that will attach to it.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I'm a big fan of the Canon PowerShot series.... lots of features, and lots of pricebreaks/models to choose from... I boughte the S400 for a point/click camera and it's been wonderful... they have a higher line than the S series, can't remember what it is right now... if you want to spend LOTS of $$$$$ then go look at digital SLR's, they can take standard SLR lenses/filters... like a Nikon Rebel.
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I've looked at that Sony, the 828 I think it is. The reviews say its not so good because of noise, something to do with a smaller sensor size. It's about $1000, so if it has issues for that price, its out. I have used the earlier one the 717 for two weddings and thought it was great to my untrained eye.
I really like the Coolpix cameras, but the 5700 is $739 before rebate. The 8700 looks pretty good, but is $1000 a pop. I think I'm leaning toward the Canon 300D(Digital Rebel), at least that way I can carry over my lenses from generation to generation.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

yeah, a CANON Digital Rebel, that's what I meant... if you want high-end, definitely look at digital SLR's where you can use all your standard lenses/filters.
-Josh Murrah
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Settled on the Canon EOS-300D Digital Rebel. Ordered it today with the kit lens. Should get it early next week.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

We expect to see more pictures from you. :D
Wanted: to set up a tank again.