Lighting

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Sandman
Amoeba

Lighting

Post by Sandman »

What will lighting cost for a 55 Gallon Tank if I want corals and frags to grow fast and another thing will the lighting heat my water to where I will not have to have a heater.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Depends on what you want... do you want to do softies, or do you want to do SPS and high-light-needing stuff?
-Josh Murrah
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Welcome to mbrk.com. Tell us a little about your current setup and what are you striving for in the long run. Let us know, and we will gladly try our best to guide you in the right direction, hopefully. Looking forward to hearing from you.

John
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

it does heat water and it depends on what you want to hold..my opinion is to go ahead and get VHO's and halides, do you want have to ask..."will this live under my type of lighting?" again...
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

I agree with Mike. You really can't go wrong with 2 175w or 2 250w metal halides and a couple of 110 watt actinic VHO's. They won't heat up the water too much but make sure that you have adequate ventilation in the hood and if you have a sump put a fan over it as well. There won't be anything you can't keep with this set up and if you want to go from softies to stonies you don't have to upgrade lighting.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

250's might be more practical as you could use them if you upgrade (and turn the 55 gallon into a sump!)
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "