Acclimating Corals???

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Belothesurf
Amoeba

Acclimating Corals???

Post by Belothesurf »

What's everybody's opinion on this? I tried a search like this on SWF and got a fast headache reading all the theory and brew ha-ha. What has worked for you? Drip method, cup method, or just temp acclimate?
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I am not particular, i just float the bag for about 20 minutes then start dipping water in the bag. This varies among people though.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I float the bags and add 10 mL of tank water every 5-10 minutes for 30 minutes. I occasionally take some out of the bags. If you have a bunch or corals this goes by quicker if you have a 60 mL horse syringe.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

I guess I am a little bit more liberal.

I float to match temps. Then pour entire contents in a small bucket. Then add tank water by scoops of coffee cups once every 5-10 minutes. for like 20-30 minutes. Then place only the coral/fish/invert in the tank, discarding the acclimation water. I also add an iodine based dip when it is a hard coral.
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I just stick them in the tank with no acclimation. If I think that they have flatworms i rinse them off in the sink first with RO water. I haven't lost any corals to this method.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Like i said, everyone is different. Alot of vendors drop theres straight in the tank. I know Rich does, i have brought him corals and seen him drop them straight in the tanks.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I have acclimated SPS (mostly Montiporas but sometimes others) by shaking them in the bag so that they close their polyps and produce a little slime and stick them in the tank. I don't think I have ever lost one doing it this way but I don't do it that ofter either.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

SCS? Shaken Coral Syndrome. Cool idea Scott, never thought of that.. seems like it would help.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

IME temp is most important factor. After floating with the lights off to get the bag temp the same as water...depending on the coral (and usually it's difficulty for me to get ) I will give it 2 shots of 20% volume tank water over a 20 min period.

Most frags get popped right into place.

Seems to do fine.
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
cnovak
Amoeba

Post by cnovak »

i just put mine in the tank also. have never had a problem and until i do i'll just keep doing what works.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I have tried just putting frags in the tank withno acclimation. I think that it takes the frag longer to acclimate to tank conditions and results in slower initial growth. Drip acclimation over the course of an hour is really the way to go just a PITA. Always discard bag water.
Dys
Amoeba

acclimation

Post by Dys »

I treat corals/fish and such all the same....

float bag for 20-30 minutes, move item from bag to pitcher (yes actually a old Kool Aid pitcher), over a 30 or more period of time depending on how much I am paying attention I add some tank water, usually at least doubling if not tripling the amount of water the item came with.
I'll respect you in the morning, but I won't wake up till noon.