Hello everyone

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Hey Troutsters, this is just my opinion, with what you have I think should work with the softies. If you would want to try some sps in the future, I would upgrade to add some more pc lighting or just use Shagman's idea of a hood and throw a 175W 20K Metal Halide bulb up there. I always see 175W ballasts going for cheap everywhere. With that setup you would be able to put any light loving coral in your tank.

Sorry, this is just a sps fanatic thinking out loud. P.S. I love the "overkills!"
troutsters
Amoeba

Post by troutsters »

Thank you Xster, I think I just want to start out simple for now. But I would like to eventually try some SPS in the future. I like the idea using Shagmans's idea with the MH. Do you have any place in particular that sells them cheap?

Thanks,
The Troutsters
www.digizone.org
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

You might want to check the Buy/Sell forum on RC and/or Ebay. Maybe Max can get a 175W MH ballast for you. He is a member here also. Most likely he will be at the next meeting if he does not chime in.
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Welcome. I think that the PC's are your best bet. They dont' produce a lot of heat like MH and the LOA lights. On a 10 gallon a couple of 13 watt pc's would be good to keep most softies.

Are you running an overflow? What kind of sump do you have?

~Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
troutsters
Amoeba

Post by troutsters »

Scott wrote:Welcome. I think that the PC's are your best bet. They dont' produce a lot of heat like MH and the LOA lights. On a 10 gallon a couple of 13 watt pc's would be good to keep most softies.
I actually have a retro kit that I could probably use to upgrade the hood.
Scott wrote:Are you running an overflow? What kind of sump do you have?
Yes, there is an overflow. It's an old wet/dry that had a built in trickle system that I had gutted so that it is basically about a 15 gal sump. It is made out of acrylic.
The Troutsters
www.digizone.org
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

With a small tank I would concentrate on mushrooms, ricordia and zoanthids. You will have enough light for all of these, they are colorful, they grow quickly (sometimes too quickly), and there are plenty local to choose from. Just my opinion, but they are easy and attractive once grown in.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
troutsters
Amoeba

Post by troutsters »

Cool, sounds good to me :D

Thank you,
The Troutsters
www.digizone.org