Sick Fish

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

I agree with xster as the best treatment. (hyposalinty). I would suggest a longer time in the hospital...closer to a month just to make sure everything has cycled. The other suggestion was the UV. A lot of people say do not use on a reef but since I started using UV and Garlic I have yet to loose a fish after he has been in my tank a week. I have also had several fish recover from ick and heal by using UV and Garlic soaked food. I also tried Rxp but did not get the results I wanted and lost all my clams and several other items. This might have been me but I think the other methods are safer but more trouble or money. Uv does not come cheap. Keep us informed..
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

All of the fish are in near perfect condition. I was really upset due to the time we have in these fish- all of them are over 2 except for the Citron Goby but the Maroon who was the first to get sick has been in one tank or another in our house for 3 1/2 years so when she got sick I was ready to cry. The Bi-color, Citron and Gramma only showed signs of illness one or two days, the first day I posted and the next day only. The Maroon was cleared up by say ummm two day ago. Her fins are almost perfect no signs of ick or the slimey white film at all. Her color is almost back to normal all of the white is white again and she has like one spot on her body that is still healing. She had three fresh water dips and the only other thing we did was the garlic soaked food which we have cut down on now. The other fish only had the food there was no way to catch them except to break down the tank which we were going to do but didn't have to in the long run.

Well I will let you know if something else happens but for now the only thing that looks like it may not make the move from the 75 down to the two smaller tanks is the yellow toadstool- which wasn't doing all of the great prior to the dismantelling of the 75 and it really looks yucky now. And the Cardinal Fish that croaked the day we started breaking the tank down- we still don't know what happened to him.

All seems well all of the fish and corals are well and good in the new half hex and the 29 gallon looks great- Devons Nano still looks likes a hurricane hit it since putting the pistol shrimp and the watchman goby in it. It stays stirred up the shrimp will eventually have to get happy. Lets hope.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I really bet the garlic soaked food helped; I feed this as a preventative measure, and we're never experienced sickness since I started... but regardless, congratulations on getting the fishies through it!!!
-Josh Murrah
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Glad to here things are coming around...Agree that garlic really helps or at least it has not hurt...I feed garlic soaked food everyday.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Hey Amy, I am very familiar with the life cycle of cryptocarans ich. Please be sure that it is not in the dormant (free-floating) stage of its' life-cycle. Just a heads up, and keep a close eye on your loved pets. Food supplementation works wonder in building the fishies' immune system in aiding them to cope with and defend against these types of infections.

John
Snakeman
Astrea snail

Post by Snakeman »

I feed garlic and ginger soaked food everyother day. I've had no problem since I started doing that.
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

John is right....might come back...The UV might help break the cycle.