Cycle Question

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

bertz_maru
Amoeba

Cycle Question

Post by bertz_maru »

well i had my lights running for about 2 weeks now... im in the diatom bloom right now... my question is.. when will i be able to turn on my skimmer?? thanks
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I dont see why you could not turn it on the first day ??
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
bertz_maru
Amoeba

Post by bertz_maru »

well i heard you should leave the skimmer off during your cycle so your bacteria could build up... but if this wrong i guess ill just turn her on...

snoop- have you always turned your skimmer on the first day?... how long did your cycle last?
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I used to run a skimmer from the first day. Now I just dont have a skimmer on any tank. You will go through algea phases from the start. First the diatom bloom, then usually some cyano. When your tank gets a nice old age you get the dreaded hair algea.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
bertz_maru
Amoeba

Post by bertz_maru »

yeh im already starting to get cyano in my refuge... i hope not to get the hair algae since im using ro+di water...... i also plan to get a few tangs hoing theyll eat it.. thanks snoop
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I think the inital algae bloom helps the pod population grow, since they mostly feed on decaying plants and algae. It will die go away on its own before too long.
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

start the skimmer now. the bloom will come no matter what. by skimming your pulling un needed stuff from the water. Algae will develop regardless. Don't fret the span of it. the bloom is the initial stage of bacteria est. itself. let it be. The nore you try and stop it the longer it will last.

Bertz- from all the talk I thought you already had a tank running? is this the first one?
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
bertz_maru
Amoeba

Post by bertz_maru »

yo.. yeh i have a few tanks.. but i just heard from somewhere that it was good to leave the skimmer off during your cycle... so i was just making sure ;)