visiting Alabama

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

busybrunette

visiting Alabama

Post by busybrunette »

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I have had a saltwater aquaruim for two years with fish and anemones. I have two leather corals, and am now desiring to start coral propagation of various types - nothing in particular. Soft corals I think because I do not have the lighting available here that I need for hard corals.

I currently live in Saudi Arabia. There is no such thing as coral propagation going on where I live. I would like to start something like that. However, I need to aquire the coral bits and pieces first.

I will be in Alabama in June, sometime around the 15th or so visiting my parents in Elberta. I would like to aquire some corals and bring them back to Saudi with me. Does anyone know if I would be able to accomplish this time-wise? What kind of preparation I need to make at home and for the return journey. I want to be well-prepared if I am going to succeed at keeping the corals alive. It will take me two days to get back to Saudi once I leave Alabama.

I am willing to accept any kind of advice you want to dish out, and appreciate it, too.

Thanks
Donna
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

Two days can be pushing it in shipping corals even when well packed. The few things I have shipped off to people or received with a two day delivery did not make it. Also going into summer now the heat will be a factor. Don't take my word on it though, Reeferpuffer will know a little more about shipping corals that I do.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I think that customs will pose a larger problem. At least that is a major problem with trading between Canada and the U.S.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

definatly customs, if it is ok then everything will be ok, make sure you double pack it so that it wont leak and you blast oxygen in to the bag..keep it dark so that the coral doesnt use up to much oxygen and make sure it stays around 75-80 degrees... insulated styrofoam is the best, i deal with shipping corals and recieving them all the time
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Mike, do you ever test the temp of the shipping water. I have read recently that a lot of shippers are trying to keep the water in the lower 70's and some in the upper 60's. Just wondering what you have seen.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
busybrunette

Post by busybrunette »

Thanks for your replies. The only customs I would be worried about would be taking it OUT of the US. There won't be a problem getting it into Saudi because they don't care unless it's pork or alcohol.

Will your group be having a get together near the middle of June? I would like to meet up with you and see if I could buy any frags from someone's surplus.