Group Buy - Ferric Hydroxide (Phosphate Sponge)

This forum would make Sanford and Son's proud.

Moderator: snoopdog

Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Terry, that Kent product has the aluminum in it. I won't say that you shouldn't use it I usually see only softy people using it. I haven't researched it much, it's just what I have read on the SPS forums.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Yeah, I also told Terry that also. As long as the phosphate sponge is a "rusty" color, than it is iron based. The white colored phosphate sponges are aluminum based = not good for your tank.

The reason that I want that much is:
1. I might run it in a fluidized bed filter, you will need more of it.
2. Plus I am setting up a couple of more tanks between me/hotel/and brother. 210G/280G/100G/670G/200G
3. IT IS CHEAP!!!!!!
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

It is best to use these iron based phosphate sponges actively, not passively. Meaning you need to put it in direct flow of the water and letting a minimal amount of water to bypass.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

670G?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Brandon wrote:670G?? :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Yeah, my brother's house..another 6 months to completion. He has a fiberglass wrapped tank - in wall setup - approximately 670 G (9 feet X 4 feet X 30 inches High) plus we are planning a prop tub and fuge tub.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

When are we getting this phosphate sponge?
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Hey guys, I just did a little research into different forms of ferric hydroxide, and RowaPhos. RowaPhos has claimed, and I truly believe, to be the best phosphate sponge available for our application. RowaPhos is also pure Beta-Ferric Hydroxide. Ferric Hydroxide comes in many forms. But this Beta-Ferric Hydroxide is actually called "akaganeite."

I should think that any granular ferric hydroxide would work. But if you can get this, "akaganeite" in granular form. That would be awesome.

I apologize if I have brought further confusion to the table.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Wind me up!
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Hey Jeff, is that the same stuff?

I just want to make sure we all know what we are putting in our reef tanks. At first, I was reading the Rowaphos Berlin Test Report at http://rowausa.com/products/images/Rowa ... Report.pdf
This states that RowaPhos is pure Beta-FeOOH.

After further looking and searching at some chemical sites, beta-ferric hydroxide is called akaganeite.

I am a little confused myself, if the granular form of ferric hydroxide that we are thinking about obtaining is actually the same thing.

:?
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

FYI, http://www.mindat.org/min-67.html

Under: Relationship of Akaganéite to other Species on that website, it also lists the other form of ferric hydroxide.

And it also lists sources for akaganeite for around the world.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

Ferric Hydroxide is also known as Geothite. Here is a link on the same site for it --> http://webmineral.com/data/Goethite.shtml

Let me do some reading on the differences and then I'll respond to your question.
Wind me up!
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

That's correct Jeff, but Geothite is Alpha-ferric hydroxide, not Beta-Ferric Hydroxide like RowaPhos.
KrazyPlace
Astrea snail

Post by KrazyPlace »

I spoke with the applications engineer for USFilters. They buy their Ferric Hydroxide (aka GFH media) from a company out of Germany, but he would not disclose the name. Mmmmmm... RowaPhos is made in Germany too, perhaps they use the same supplier?

He is going to send me the original speck sheet shortly, but basically this stuff is 57% beta-Ferric Hydroxide and 42% Ferric Hydroxide (alpha?). He also mentioned that adsorption of phosphate was good and that the phosphate loading (see Figure 1, Pg 11, http://rowausa.com/products/images/Rowa ... Report.pdf) is greater than 10 [mg P / g DM]. Thats somewhere close to RowaPhos, but double that of PO4 Sponge & ElimiPhos! The ultimate equalibrium value is 0.05 ug/L which is equivalent to the others.

According to the article mentioned above (thanks Xster!) the PO4 Sponge and ElimiPhos are both aluminum based. The others seem not to perform well.

I referenced the "Merck Index, 9th ed." and found out that FeO(OH) exist in 3 natural mineral forms; goethite (alpha), lepidocrocite (sigma), and limonite (FeO(OH).nH2O). There are also 2 other 'not so natural' allomorphic forms; betta and gamma. The difference is in the allomorph form (crystalline shape).

OK, what ever... ya, this will work just fine for us!
Wind me up!
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Sounds good!!!!! I am all for it now!!!!!!!!!!! Feet first?? or head first? Let me know when we are gettting it!!!! Can't wait.

John