Hello Everyone

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

LoneStar
Amoeba

Hello Everyone

Post by LoneStar »

Hello,

I was reading threads on SWF.com and happened to see a post which directed me to this site. I definitely was not expecting to see so many locals. This web site is well put together.
I am originally from Mobile but now reside in Grand Bay, AL. I have been fooling around with tanks for about 15 years and salt water tanks for about 7. I moved onto the reef scene about 4 years ago and lost the interest of fish only tanks immediately. Up until 2 months ago, I had 5 tanks set up all around the house. In December I had to leave town on a job and my main tank sprung a leak. The wife could not reach me for a solid week so she did exactly as I asked her to (which was to keep the water level at the water mark). Needless to say, I came home to an almost freshwater tank with no corals or inverts alive. Since then, I have decided to combine the contents of all of the tanks and start over once again.
My setup now is a 190 gal tank with a 75 gal sump/fuge built into the stand. I use a ampmaster 3000 in a closed loop for circulation. All I use as a return from the sump is a mag 7. I may upgrade to a mag 12 soon but all seems to be working good so far. I run 4 VHO actinics with 3 250w metal halides 6500k. I would say that I have approx 250lbs of live rock and about 240 lbs of aragonite sand.
I was very excited to see this forum and I do look forward to attending your monthly meetings.

Thank You,
Jeremy Eddins
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

Welcome! Do you have corals yet?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

Yes, I have started a few sps' and a couple leathers. Nothing to brag about but you have to start somewhere.

Jeremy
tbmoore
Astrea snail

Post by tbmoore »

Welcome to the board...good to see new members...sorry to hear about your other tank...hope you recover quickly....
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Do you have any pics. I have heard others comment about how there tanks are nothing special only to see them and wonder if we were looking at the same tank. What SPS do you have?
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

I will try to get a pic posted tomorrow (embarrasing) once the lights are on.

Jeremy
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I wouldn't be embarrassed. My tank isn't much to look at now and there are a few pics of mine here. I can't wait to see them.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

Like I said, not much to look at but it is keeping me busy. Forgive the dirtyness, the clean up crew isnt the best but I am trying to wait a little longer before I stock up.

Thanks,
Jeremy
Attachments
IMG_034986.jpg
IMG_034986.jpg (167.4 KiB) Viewed 2471 times
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

I guess I really need to use something besides PVC. There is actually 2 more PVC 45 deg fittings inside the tank that is not shown in the pic.

Jeremy
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

Looking goooooood!!!!
-Josh Murrah
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

I have locline and I am thinking of changing some of it to PVC elbows. In some places the locline blocks too much light and provides too direct flow.

It looks good. What is the PVC with the green strainer on the left?
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

The PVC with the green strainer on the left is the intake to the dolphin ampmaster 3000. Originally, both of the 1.5 inch bulkheads were to go to the sump. After I plumbed it, I realized that they 2 bulkheads could not handle the flow. Rather than cutting down the ampmaster, I made a closed loop out of it. I now am using a mag 7 (3/4" PVC next to the green strainer) as the return to the tank from the sump and the 1.5 inch bulkhead on the right as the drain to the sump.

I do like the way the 1 inch elbows deliver the water but I need to get some grey or black. I really think I put them too far down in the tank.

Thanks for the compliment on the tank. It is nothing compared to the ones I see on this site. Gives me insentive (sp) to keep trying.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

LoneStar wrote: I do like the way the 1 inch elbows deliver the water but I need to get some grey or black. I really think I put them too far down in the tank.
My drains are 1" 90 degree white elbows. They were white but are becoming encrusted with coraline. I hope that when/if I change out some of my locline to elbows they will just do the same and will blend in. I don't see much coraline, was that the rock from your old tanks?
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Welcome Jeremy!!! Your tank is looking good already, as far as the so called "dirtyness," where do you see that? I must be kinda blind. Hopefully, you will make it to the next meeting.

John
Belothesurf
Amoeba

Post by Belothesurf »

I agree with Xster. You are far more humble than me. If I had your tank I'd have little pics of it in my wallet....you know, show it off at work and stuff......."this is a picture of the little tankster.......oh, and this is a pic of him after a water change........oh, this is a great one....I had just topped him off, he's so full of himself..........". Ha-ha. Seriously, you have a very nice tank, and with your experience, I'm sure I will only become more jealous. Welcome.....