Hello Everyone

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

Scott.....If they elbows in my tank would become encrusted with coraline, I would be very satisfied. As far as the rock, yes..it is from 2 of smaller tanks that I had running while converting this 1 to saltwater. I have never been able to get coraline to grow. I am not sure what I have been doing wrong. My calcium levels in the 75 gal tank always stayed at 500 (actually a little higher according to the test kit). All other readings were perfect. I was running 660 watts of VHO lighting. The 190 gal tank keeps a calcium level of 450, and alk of 5.0 and almost 1200 watts of lighting. Only supplements that I add is strontium, iodine, and kalkwasser. Hopefully I will be able to have some this go around but I am doing the same with this as I have done with others. Maybe there is something I am missing?

John....Thanks for overlooking the dirtyness. I dropped the water level of the tank to below the drains while I let the sand in the fuge settle. I should have wiped the tank down before I started it back up. Funny thing is, I didnt even notice it until I took that picture. Thanks for the welcome and I am going to try like heck to make the meeting. I didnt think there was many people in this area with the reefing interest. I am pleasantly surprised. I also did not know that all of the good stores were in Pensacola. This site has already been alot of help.

Thanks,
Jeremy
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

Thanks Belo......that is hillarious. Actually made me laugh. I could see the reaction from the guys I work with if I did that. Too Funny!

Jeremy
Belothesurf
Amoeba

Post by Belothesurf »

Glad you liked that.....unfortunately that's all I can contribute at this time...no real advice. I'm a Newbie to SW. I got into this back in Dec. so anything I know is mainly from what I've read and looked up on the internet. Anyway, even if I knew what I was talking about, it would still be tainted with sarcasm and humor......... I'm a firm believer that humor makes the world go round. Anyway....sounds like you have a very nice setup, and have had more in the past. You mentioned 5 tanks in your house......what kind of work are you in to be able to afford that????????????
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Well Jeremy, if that is the case....You have the nicest and cleanest "dirty" tank I have ever seen!!!! Image
Scott
Goby
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by Scott »

LoneStar wrote: I was running 660 watts of VHO lighting. The 190 gal tank keeps a calcium level of 450, and alk of 5.0 and almost 1200 watts of lighting. Only supplements that I add is strontium, iodine, and kalkwasser. Hopefully I will be able to have some this go around but I am doing the same with this as I have done with others. Maybe there is something I am missing?
I have heard that coraline is a "low light" algae, but I do have 1240 watts on my 100 gallon and I have it growing good. The one thing that I can think of is that you have to have some to begin with to grow more. You might buy a small piece of liverock that is covered in coraline and put it in an area with lots of flow.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
LoneStar
Amoeba

Post by LoneStar »

Thats a great idea. I may purchase a couple of small pieces for the sump but scrape the spores off and deposite in the display.

Thanks,
Jeremy
tanker stanker
Amoeba

Post by tanker stanker »

I really like your tank. About the coralline, try to use a toothbrush and brush the coralline u do have and it will spread spores all over. Thats what I did and it works great. :)
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

I also think the intensity of your light has alot to do with the colors you get from coraline.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate