Hello everyone

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

troutsters
Amoeba

Hello everyone

Post by troutsters »

Hi, Shelly (my fiance) and I, Travis, were invited to take a look at this website by a few of your members that we bumped into at Waggy Tails. So we thought we would stop by and take a look. I am very impressed and inspired by the tanks that you guys have. I am posting some pics of a 10 gal. nano that we just setup this last Saturday. We are hoping to possibly be able to come to your next meeting.
Attachments
10 Gal. Nano - Just setup 3/20/04
10 Gal. Nano - Just setup 3/20/04
10-gallon.jpg (282.72 KiB) Viewed 2596 times
The Troutsters
www.digizone.org
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Hello Troutsters!!! Welcome to the club. Man, I wish my tank was that clean and immaculate. Great start guys!!! See ya at the next meeting!
troutsters
Amoeba

Post by troutsters »

Thank you, I am sure it won't stay that clean for too long. Although, my three turbo grazers are hard at work! ;o)

We can't wait to come to the next meeting.
The Troutsters
www.digizone.org
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Oops, my name is John, by the way.
troutsters
Amoeba

Post by troutsters »

Nice to meet you John. Just looking at your tank pics in the gallery. Looks very nice. Do you have a workshop or room behind the tank in the wall?
The Troutsters
www.digizone.org
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Yeap. I sure do.
troutsters
Amoeba

Post by troutsters »

is that something you planned into the house or just reconstruction after the fact? Just curious becuase I am wanting to do the same thing next year when we start looking for a house.
The Troutsters
www.digizone.org
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

WELCOME !!!

Nano's are so cool.... you should see the retro light's others have made int he DIY area if you have not dont this already.

See you at the next meeting I hope.

Happy Reefing
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Heya Troutsters.. I believe you probably met Melissa and I.. If it was on Saturday. It looks like you are off to a good start. A 10 gallon nano is exactly how we started out as well. A wal-mart tank and 12lbs of B&B rock. It's a lot cheaper to learn your mistakes with a minimum amount of livestock in my opinion.
What are you doing for lighting on your nano? Power Compacts?
Where did you get your rock? If it hasn't cycled, do be disheartened with the initial algae outbreak while your tank is cycling, it will die back and clear off.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

The placement of the tank was after the fact. After my wife and I moved into the house, I started looking for the perfect place for the reef tank. When we purchased our home, I did not even think about a reef tank, yet. So that was not a consideration in buying the place. But after moving in, I start thinking about it immediately..Found a nice place for in wall, with the back in the portion of the garage. I had to build a wall to seal off that section due to heat issues here in the summer time.

But that is another thread. This thread is about the Troutsters!!! Sorry for the temporary hijack. Did not mean to.... :(
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Just FYI Troutster.. Xster could charge admission to his setup, it has to be seen to be believed.
Xster
Astrea snail

Post by Xster »

Just FYI Troutster.. Brandon over-exagerates sometimes, just sometimes!! :lol:

Now back to the topic of the thread. Hey Travis, let us in on some of your plans for this nano! What are you thinking about as far as livestock is concerned?
troutsters
Amoeba

Post by troutsters »

I currently have just the hood that came with the tank. It's one of those cheap hoods that have the two smaller type bulbs. I put 2 50/50 10w PC bulbs in there. Hopefully that will be enough for some softies and LPS. I would like to try the setup that ShagMan has illustrated at some point; are those MH in that hood?

Also, I have a overflow going to an older wet/dry that I have converted to a sump. It houses my Mag-Drive 7 and a Sea Clone 100. I know it's a bit over kill, but it's what I had already from my earlier 75 Gal reef that I had tore down and is now my Convic Chiclid tank.

Hi Brandon and Melissa, it was good to meet you two. I can't wait to see everyone at the next meeting. I got the rock at B&B. I went to Waggy Tails to have the water tested a day after setting it up and it was almost half way done with the cycle! I had barely any amonia and a lot of nitrites. Hopefully this weekend it will be ready for it's first water change. I used 10lb of live sand from B&B that said on the bag instant cycle. Didn't think it was for real though, but it sure is cycling fast.

Mainly, this tank is to kind of hold us over until we get into a house and I can setup something larger. I only want to put one or two small fish, one being a percula. Shelly wants a Nemo ;o) I would like a small goby or blenny. I also like to get into keeping corals. I had just started trying to keep a couple leathers in my 75 gallon reef when I had decided to take it down due to all of mantis problems I was having and the lack of money to support it. So, I would like to try some polyps, mushrooms, and maybe some softies and LPS. Not sure if my lighting will be sufficent though.

Sorry for the long thread, just excited that I finally have somewhere to talk about my reefing experiances. :D

Thank you,
The Troutsters
www.digizone.org
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

Dont want to rag on Shagman's idea.. but I'd steer away from that light for main tank lighting. It's a power compact light from lowes/walmart. A great light for a refugium, but I think the bulbs tend to be in the yellow spectrum a bit. Prob 5500K. You could probably setup a workhorse 3 or 5 w/ two 32 watt or two 18 watt powercompacts for close to the same price.
troutsters
Amoeba

Post by troutsters »

What could I do with what I have? Also, what would I need to try some SPS frags like Acro's?

Thank you,
The Troutsters
www.digizone.org