Spyware woes

Off Topic Discussion - Chat about anything, just keep it fairly clean.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Spyware woes

Post by snoopdog »

I was browsing the Dell forums today looking at topics on some of there new laptop lines when i saw something installing in the background. I pulled up my taskmanager and there were 5 spyware programs running that were not there yesterday. One was wupdater.exe which is a horrible one. Processor utilization was at 100 percent and savenow and wupdater were killing it all. Now since i know my machine was clean yesterday and i was in a reputable forum i am thinking that someones signature had some malicious code in it. Just an FYI. It was easy to clean out and i needed to do some spring cleaning anyway.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

How could you tell it was installing?
What do you do for spring cleaning?
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

I have come to 100% rely on an almost-daily running of Ad-Aware to keep spy-ware away.
-Josh Murrah
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I could see a window minimized on the system tray and then it went away. Then another popped up and minimized. During the process there was alot of hard drive activity. During a 60 second cycle 4 different hard hitter spyware were installed. Also i had a nice search bar on my IE when it was done.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

Post by harbingerofthefish »

I'm actually getting to the point where Ilove the creativity of spyware sharers. Granted you probally got some pretty nasty stuff in the process, but if you did get it fornm a sig on the site you have to give props for someone doing that.

so heres an on topic but off topic ? for you Kev.

When I run SpyBot it freezes half way through. IS it a RAm problem or what? if you know of course.

-A
"nothing is the matter, it don't matter what you think"
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

How long have you actually let it sit ? Alot of programs will appear to be frozen and not actually be in a locked state. Personally i have always been more of an Adaware fan. Spybot can actually do damage to legitimate programs from what i have seen in the past.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

snoopdog wrote: Also i had a nice search bar on my IE when it was done.
That happened to mine a few weeks ago. It must have downloaded it when Nikki was using the computer. When I got home there was a mountain range picture behind my IE buttons. It took a while to find, but I did get rid of it.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
harbingerofthefish
Copepod
Location: ^^Harbinger wishes he was way up here^^ - um...can we say abuse of power here?! and memphis, tn ;)

I recently upgraded my RAm and fired up SpyBot. It got to the stall part and left the house to go to Sunday dinner with the folks. Came back about 3 hours later. Still frozen. Oh well...no biggie. AdAware does just fine.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Personally do no like spybot, but opinions are just that. Might want to trim your Msconfig if you have not already done it. Adaware only gets rid of spyware and adware, there are alot of anoyances it does not touch like these anoying ass search bars.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
harbingerofthefish
Copepod

have you tried this:

http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

seems to find a lot of stuff
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Yeah that is what we use at work, but the corporate version. Kind of a PIA because on our computers you cannot turn it off and it updates from the corporate side and you might as well leave your machine when it is doing a scan. The housecalls program is awesome because you can scan someones computer from the web without even doing an install, very cool
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

The best I've found is Webroot Spy Sweeper. It seems to find tons of stuff that ad-aware doesn't. Also runs some resident programs that help prevent the junk from installing in the first place.

http://www.webroot.com/
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

I will have to try that.
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.