The next step.......225 baby !

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

The next step.......225 baby !

Post by snoopdog »

Me and Amy are talking about not moving but instead adding on to the house. Maybe adding 700-900 sqft more space toward the back of the house. I figure might as well plan around the fishtank that will be there. The largest size tank I would want to handle would be a 225 gallon fish tank cause I do not want acrylic and would feel better about glass. Talking to Reefer today he asked me "are you going to put it in the wall?", but on instinct I said "no". Well after thinking I was like....why would i not put it into the wall ? So now I think i will recess it into the wall and put my utility room behind it. Ok so this bring up alot of questions, one is how high off the floor do I put it ? What supports need to be there to house it ? Does the tank sit on sheetrock or right on the wood frame ? I am also wondering what size the room behind it would need to be so I can confortable move around. Wow, I am getting excited about the thought of something soo damn cool. I got on Amy for planning too far ahead the other night on the addition and we are not close to doing it, but hell I am pumped to design our next house.

The reason we decided to add instead of sell and buy was how much energy we have put into the POS house. When we moved in the house was in piss poor shape and we have done alot to it. Since we gradually did this the house is worth alot more than we paid and our mortgage is a bargain compared to todays new house prices. But first, I do not have to move the pond immediately, the fish tank will not have to be moved and me find a place to house the fish. Do not have to move the furniture, kids do not have to change schools...etc.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Why only a 225? I think add on to get the 1000. Really, depending on the height of the tank 30 inches would be the minimum stand height I would want. For a tank that size I would build the bottom out of 4x4's. What equipment would ou be putting in the room behind the wall? A room 4 foot wide would be plenty to do most stuff as long as there isn't a whole lot of large equipment there. Check out this thread: http://www.reefaquariumguide.com/forums ... adid=27500. If you do a search on RAG for username pooduck you can see the whole process.

Scott
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

alright now lets not push things..... a 1000...think fish tank not swimming pool
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

Now his facing of what looks like rock or marble is incredible and gives me an idea /grin

Thanks for the link Scott I knew you would have some ideas. The area behind will house the pumps, the chiller when i get a new one, the calcium reactor if I ever hook it back up, the skimmer and miscellaneous junk. I will probably keep the freezer back there too. I am thinking of adding a skylight but not sure if this would have positive or negative effects on growth. Ok another question, there are multiple sizes of 225, some long, some deep and some higher. I am going to figure out which one i want and this will impact greatly on where it sits.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

snoopdog wrote:Now his facing of what looks like rock or marble is incredible and gives me an idea /grin

Thanks for the link Scott I knew you would have some ideas. The area behind will house the pumps, the chiller when i get a new one, the calcium reactor if I ever hook it back up, the skimmer and miscellaneous junk. I will probably keep the freezer back there too. I am thinking of adding a skylight but not sure if this would have positive or negative effects on growth. Ok another question, there are multiple sizes of 225, some long, some deep and some higher. I am going to figure out which one i want and this will impact greatly on where it sits.

I sense a chance to overdo things here :!: bruhahahahahaha. :lol:
A chance to add a fish room , an in wall mega reef... deisel generator .... air strip out back for direct shipments :twisted: :twisted: :D
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Not sure what you intend to keep in the 225, but sunlight can be very beneficial to corals. Here is one thread about an outdoor prop system:http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthrea ... t=sunlight. I know there are more and one guy, I think his username was Tubbs, not sure what forum, had his tank in a sunroom and it did very well. Thermal heating may be a problem and guaging the where to install skylights might be a little tricky. You would have to be able to guage direction on sunlight through different seasons and then have your timers respond to times of the year when the skylight is getting more or less direct sunlight. I will look for more threads, I know scubadude has a greenhouse prop system.

Scott
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Pray for me.....
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

You'll need it. Only divine intervention will save you now.
snoopdog
Yellow Tang

Post by snoopdog »

How many different sizes in 225 are there and what do you guys prefer ?
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

A 225...I am dissapointed......Look the only thing I regret about the 500 is not building into the wall. If you are gonna go to that much trouble, just get a HUGE friggin tank......make 9'x3'x3'. That would put you at about 545 I think.

AWESOME IDEA>>>>>>>I LIKE IT!

Elizabeth
SaltnLime
Chromis

Post by SaltnLime »

snoopdog wrote:How many different sizes in 225 are there and what do you guys prefer ?
ALot of different custome sizes, but I think standard is the

72(l)x24(w)x30(h)

If you are doing a standard tank you might htink about the 180 gallon at
72x24x24 They are getting pretty common, and I bet you could get a good deal on a used one.

I would seriously consider shelling out the cash for a new EURO_REEF tank though. Do it right with no regrets. These tanks are sweet. They are glass so no worries on scratching. No big plastic braces in the middle. You kinda set the time frame when you will rebuilt so plenty of time to design the system and save the loot :D

Here's a link I found not long ago. I'm sure there are more links out there, but this was a project link that may be of some help.

http://www.thereefweb.com/200g_reef_project_plan.htm
"Well......maybe I did get alittle carried away! "
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Alright guys... I graduate Saturday... I don't even have a job yet, quit giving him ideas...... :wink: I would like something around a 300 personally, I am with you why not while you're doing... but Kev is pretty set on a 225. But seriously I have to go to work for this addition to get built SO.... it will probably be the end of the summer..... Right Kev?