"Mike" and everyone else - What do you feed?

Reefkeeping, Coral, Fish and Invertebrates.

Moderator: snoopdog

Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

"Mike" and everyone else - What do you feed?

Post by Amyjoe »

This question is directed to everyone but Mike in particular, Kevin wanted to know since he saw how your water tested... What do you feed your tank the most? If you had to pick one food you would feed all of the time what would it be? We are trying to get to the bottom of our nitrate problem and well, starting at the food source just seems to be a good place.

Mike here is a link to a site with comparisons on camera's with comp pricing.... http://www.dpreview.com/ there are some shots on Reefland taken with a Nikon 2500 that are pretty awesome if you want to check it out.

A
Last edited by Amyjoe on Fri May 09, 2003 10:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
ShagMan
Goby

Post by ShagMan »

every 3-4 days I feed:

1) regular ol' Tetra marine flakes (blue can), a large pinch. I purposefully overfeed, for the sandbed critters. I have a manderin goby, so I've been overfeeding my sandbed for a long while now to build it up. It causes a "flake storm" when I do it, but ALL the flakes will be gone overnight.

2) a rectangle of Nori (seaweed), that's been soaked for a short time in a 1:1 mixture of garlic extract and Kent Marine Zoe.

every 1-2 weeks, I'll feed some thawed frozen brine shrimp, mostly target fed onto the frogspawn and riccordias.

That's it!
-Josh Murrah
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

Usually one cube of San Fransisco Bay brand Spirulina enriched Mysis shrimp every 2 - 3 days. I fill in about every 2 -3 days with some Nori.

Hope that helps!

Elizabeth
snoopdog
Yellow Tang
Are you a Bot ?: No

Post by snoopdog »

What do your Nitrates stay at Liz and what kind of kit do you test with.
"When they was no meat we ate fowl, when there was no fowl we ate crawdad. And when there was no crawdad to be found, we ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate what?"--H.I.
"We ate sand."--Cellmate
"You ate sand?"--H.I.
"That's right."--Cellmate
lzb3
Copepod

Post by lzb3 »

Well...that is a hard one cause you know that we had a trate problem with the 100. At that time I was feeding 2x per day and Nori everyday in addition. In an effort to bring the trates down, we went to the feeding schedule I mentioned above. Along with some substantial water changes, we got the trate level to go from >100 to <5 in about a month and that is where it stayed until I took the tank down. Hopefully with the 500 and a smaller bio-load (as a percentage of total water volume) we can keep the trates at zero.

As for test kits.......Salifert all the way!

Elizabeth :)
Amyjoe
Hermit Crab

Post by Amyjoe »

Bump up to the top
Wonder what it is going to take to get a bigger tank?????
reeferpuffer
Astrea snail

Post by reeferpuffer »

i feed formula 2 and prime reef frozen and pellets, and feed nori once a week..