Do I keep going

Discussion Of Local Group Meetings For the Baldwin County and Mobile Area

Moderator: snoopdog

Fishfood
Chromis
Are you a Bot ?: No

Do I keep going

Post by Fishfood »

Well it looks like i'm going to end up paying a nice chunk of change for Hurricane repairs. I sold my old tank to buy a new one and well I might have to sell it just to cover expenses that the insurance might not cover.

I get $12000 from the insurane company(for everything) but just for the one part of my house i have an estimate of $22000. I know they will work this out but then there is the depretiation on the material that is going to jack me and the $1700 hurricane deductable. Plus the lost rent (and i'm not supposed to have others live with me and pay rent) from the two friends who had to find another place to live for the time being. In all i can see myself having to come up with close to $5000 out of my pocket. I'm fighting this every day on the phone with the insurance and the adjustor but it just seems to be getting no where. I also have a new deck that has no interest on until jan and then my new furnature in the house that i have no payments on until july but I'm not going to be able to make them in full at this point.

So do i pack it up and sell everything to cover the costs or just hold on and struggle or whatever.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Have you contacted FEMA? Surely they could come up with something to help.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

FEMA was the first one at my house. They sent me a letter stating that with my insurance i'm not eligable for FEMA assistance. I'm going to call them back when i finally figure out what is coming out of my pocket but as fast as the insurance company works it will be after christmas sometime. I have two roommates who really want to get back into the place. They are sick of being at their parents house.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

Call your insurance co and dispute the adjusters estimate. Tell them you have one estimate for $22k and fax the est to them if necessary.Then call FEMA again.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Fishfood
Chromis

Post by Fishfood »

I plan on it. Its just getting really frustrating since i've been on the phone with the insurance company for about 10 hours in the past two weeks. They are dragging their feet, IMO, and i still have a house with a hole in it that you could drive a truck through. I guess i didn't look over my plan well enough and i have depretiation cost taken out of the amount i should get paid. I can get about 1/4 of that back but i have to bite the rest of it. Plus with the fact that its taken up until this week to finally get an estimate back from a contractor. I had 3 come out and two of them were a month ago or more and I just got this estimate this week. I have to send that to the adjustor and he has to look and see the differences. He told me if his measurments and stuff matched up and the prices were that bad then I had to go to the insurance company and fight for the rest. The insurance company told me that I had to go to the adjustor and get it fixed and what he says I get I get. I guess if it isn't resolved with the adjustor I need to contact a lawyer. What a PITA. Its just getting to the point where I know i have th4e $1750 deductable then i have the depretiation cost which is another $1500-$2000, and to top it off I'm not supposed to have roommates and i can't claim them as lost rent. I'm charging a storage fee but thats about it.

My whole problem is that I'll need another $500 to get my tank up to where i want it. I can't afford that now and I could really use the cash to pay the other expenses. So I'm stuck on if i plumb the tank and water test it then move in into the livingroom to sit there for 6 to 12 months before i us it. Thats what i really what i want to do but if i need the cash i need the cash. I'm just venting. I'm staying at Jenns for the time being and she said I've acted like a women at that time of the month ever since the hurricane because of the house problems.
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Hey, PMS is almost always a good excuse! And people tend to not dispute or want to discuss it much at all..... :lol:

They just kind of look at you and roll their eyes with that "that explains it all" look.

Sorry your having such a bad time of it, it really is a pain...I thought FEMA was supposed to help with what your insurance doesn't pay?
sb1227
Astrea snail

Post by sb1227 »

Nevermind, just reread your post......so they help out AFTER it's all said and done. I really thought they seemed to be going along faster than that.
Scott
Goby

Post by Scott »

It must be Allstate. They tried that s@#% after hurricane Georges when we had a tree in our house.
Wanted: to set up a tank again.
Brandon
Chromis

Post by Brandon »

I'd just do what I had to get thru... doesn't sound like you're going to be able to live in your house for a while anyways, which sucks.. but seriously.. you will have time to worry with the tank later.
- A wookie is nothing more than three ewoks duct taped together.